Alex Salmond Visits Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Salmond Visits Glasgow

Heard the big man was going to be in Glasgow today. I rushed out of work at 12pm, headed for the subway. Train arrived bang on time. Got my camera and lens prepped while on the train, got off Buchanan St and got up to the higher level to be greeted by the crowd. Jumped amongst all the other photogs and came away some shots here

Not content with just pics of the First minister I followed a guy waving a huge Scotland Flag up to the top of the street. He was waving it as he past the Donald Dewar statue and felt it was a strong enough image to rattle off a few at 6fps to see if I could catch the flag waving. 6 shots I got and this one was used by Time Magazine online today.

Narrowing polls are scaring markets and frightening politicians in the U.K. parliament

Totally gobsmacked to say the least and certainly worked out well for a lunchtime trip into town. Best £3 I've spent on a journey lol.

I did get elbowed in the face by a photog getting into position, and might I add, these guys throw photography etiquette right out the window lol. They will stand in front of you while you are lining up a shot lol.

Wasn't a lot of keepers from the 100 pics I took, felt the 5D3 or the 24-105 a bit on the slow side to achieve focus. Never mind it was a good day.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Alex Salmond Visits Glasgow

Good work Paul. Much more fun than having lunch at your desk!

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Good work Paul .. Some great shots there pal.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Nice one Paul
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

well done paul
          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Some good work Paul.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Cheers folks :) It's pretty exciting stuff.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

excellent photos Paul ... I should think over the next few weeks we will be hearing and seeing even a lot more of Mr Salmond
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Good work Paul!
                  Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Well done Paul. I hate crowds so it's definitely not something I would like to do.

Comment

Only thing I just failed on was watching my shutter speeds. Let it drop too low. 1/100th on some of the shots that I didn't submit and definitely not a shutter speed for people moving. The shots at 1/125th are totally fine. F/6.3 seemed to work well for keeping the subjects whole head in focus and giving a mild blur to the BG. ISO200 should have been ISO400 to be honest, but you learn.

One thing I do feel I'm missing out on is a HSS/TTL flash. It was dull as anything yesterday and all the guys had one. I just know the shots would have been more appealing with some fill in them.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Time Magazine! Excellent result. Just sharpen your elbows for next time.
                        Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                          Only thing I just failed on was watching my shutter speeds. Let it drop too low. 1/100th on some of the shots that I didn't submit and definitely not a shutter speed for people moving. The shots at 1/125th are totally fine. F/6.3 seemed to work well for keeping the subjects whole head in focus and giving a mild blur to the BG. ISO200 should have been ISO400 to be honest, but you learn.
                          Manual mode with auto ISO would have worked perhaps? Set the shutter speed and aperture and let the camera handle the ISO...
                          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            Manual mode with auto ISO would have worked perhaps? Set the shutter speed and aperture and let the camera handle the ISO...
                            You know it's something I never use. Auto ISO. If you were able to set an upper limit then yeah I might use it.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                              You know it's something I never use. Auto ISO. If you were able to set an upper limit then yeah I might use it.
                              you can ;o)
                              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                              X