Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSB Virgin - Thruxton a baptism of rain…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSB Virgin - Thruxton a baptism of rain…

Had my first real attempt at bikes at speed when I went to the qualifiers at Thruxton on Saturday. The last time I went to a decent bike event was the TT in the Isle of Man back in 1977. In the past I have taken plenty of shots of enduro and trials events, but with those, speed and access is not really an issue. Totally did not know what to expect, managed to take far too much kit as I did not know how close you could get to the action or even what I would be able to photograph. So along with my 1D3, I packed my new Siggy 120 - 300 f2.8, both the 1.4x and 2x converter as well as my old trusty 35-350L - with the expectation of comparing the results. God that Siggy is a wrist breaker, thankfully I had it on a sturdy monopod and a nice 'frotto gimbal head which helped take the strain. I was really impressed with Thruxton, access and views were great, the rain possibly helped keep some of the crowds away, but I was able to get some great positions. A packed schedule saw qualifying and racing from 9:00 through to 6:00 in the evening - plenty of opportunity to fill your cards, which I managed to do… Anyway, onto the pics, must admit I was rather chuffed with them.

1 - 3/4 Panning shot, 1/125" at f8 ISO200 - Siggy at 160mm - love the action in this...

2 - another slow shot, 1/160" at f7.1 ISO 200 at 120mm

3 - moving up the beast scale - in the dry, 1/200" at f7.1 ISO 200 at 300mm

4 - loved the wet - not sure why I was on these settings, but I was trying lots of different things, but it seems to have worked 1/320" at f2.8 ISO 100 at 197mm

5 - 1/320" at f4 ISO 50 - lens at 292mm

Amazing day, definitely will do it again, qualifiers was only £16 for the day, main event on the Sunday was a bit more expensive at £26, but a grand fun day. Happy to post some more if people interested??

Re: BSB Virgin - Thruxton a baptism of rain…

These are great John, crisp & clean with a satisfying 'pan', my only slight niggle I'd have liked a bit more empty space in front of the bike in 1&3 to ride into.

I have that big siggy, and you can only throw it around for short periods, it's such a beast.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Good to have you back John! - As Les says a little space to move into, but I find that a personal thing. Cracking shots. How did the 35-350 compare with the Siggy?
      Regards-Robin

Comment

Thanks Les, the problem was that I was a bit too close to the action, I should have used the 35-350 which gives you that bit of space, I have plenty with more space, the problem with no 3 is the one before has not quite got the right plane of focus, what I found is that it is not an exact science & you do need a bit of luck as well...

Try these

Comment

2nd set is superb although for me the colour / vibrancy could do with a little 'push'. I don't really have an issue with where the subject is - it's THE main focus of the shot so why not put it bang in the middle.

I recon the guy that started the 'rule of thirds' rubbish did it as a joke to see how far it would go. . . . . he would be in hysterics now

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
            Good to have you back John! - As Les says a little space to move into, but I find that a personal thing. Cracking shots. How did the 35-350 compare with the Siggy?
            Regards-Robin
            I have had the 35-350L for far too many years, it must be coming up to its 20th birthday, it is a real cracker & has been used for nearly everything, from Zapcats to F16's and the odd dragonfly in flight. The Siggy was a new acquisition, I have the 400L f5.6 which is razor sharp, but I wanted something a bit longer, but with the flexibility of the zoom. I looked at the long white stuff but seriously could not warrant the investment, I have tried the siggy with both the 1.4x very nice and the 2x a bit sluggish, but then it will get you into places you just cant reach.
            I had to dig through some images to find some on the L

This is at 160mm - nowt wrong with this one....

This is back at 110mm

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
              2nd set is superb although for me the colour / vibrancy could do with a little 'push'. I don't really have an issue with where the subject is - it's THE main focus of the shot so why not put it bang in the middle.
              I recon the guy that started the 'rule of thirds' rubbish did it as a joke to see how far it would go. . . . . he would be in hysterics now
              .DAVID.
              This was my first time trying to cover one of these, my normal fun would be behind a bush on taking an enduro bike and I would normally use my 12-24mm and the bikes are about an arms length away or closer!!!
              Rules, things tend to work when you use them, but not always - it also interesting how different countries have different expectations, in Europe they love into the sun - but rule of thirds, I rather like this with the bike in the background...

Comment

The first side car shot is a cracker IMO - always admired your work tho.

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                  The first side car shot is a cracker IMO - always admired your work tho.
                  Thank you for that, it is always good to try something new, I always find something to inspire me on this site...

A final couple - too good to leave on the HD...

Comment

Excellent sets

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                      Excellent sets
                      Thank you...

Comment

Great set thanks for sharing.

Paul
                        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Very well panned shots!!!! love 'em
                          regards
                          Donald

Comment

Working...
                          X