Despite the snow the race in on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite the snow the race in on.

Despite the recent weather here in the UK, Lancashire was one of only 3 counties who decided to hold the scheduled county cross country championships this weekend. The races are in age groups from Under 11 to Veteran, these are the Under 13s , as I still sorting out the rest on my images.

*************** of Pendle AC leads bunch of athletes taking in part in the under 13 boys event at the 2010 Lancashire County Cross Country Championship at a snow covered Witton Park, Blackburn

Now the girls are not going to be left out and they also raced.

********* of Manx Harriers and ********* from Blackpool Wyre & Fylde AC

Last edited by Mark; 10-01-2010, 21:37.

Re: Despite the snow the race in on.

I thought there were rules against publishing pictures of minors with their names?
    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
      I thought there were rules against publishing pictures of minors with their names?
      That would be some EOS forum rule then ?

Comment

Child protection rules.

I work in a school and there are very strict rules about showing kids in pictures where they can be identified
        ef-r

Comment

Sorry about opening a can of worms here, Brian -
          Are there actual Laws against this or is it the Education Authority's rules you have to adhere to? I'm not privy to the rules & regs of the race authority (haven't even read EOS Forum rules to see if its banned from here) but if the race is on Public land someone is going to have the devil's own job policing that.

For example, a quick search on Witton Park, Blackburn (from the 1st post in this thread) brings up a link to the local Harrier club and their website contains images of young teenagers in races, each one named. 3 clicks and they're on display.

I don't necessarily agree with publishing names/pics of youngsters, but if a sports club is publishing them then a few images on a photo forum isn't going to make much difference?

Comment

I am only asking the question - I only know that I am constrained . This is an important question for all of us to know the answer to.

I know that pictures of children in the newspapers are blurred out - and they are taken in public places.

Can any one shed some definitive light on this.
            ef-r

Comment

One of the better, but not complete reference notes on Photography laws can be found at http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/u...hers-rights-v2
              Last edited by Mark; 10-01-2010, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                One of the better, but not complete reference notes on Photography laws can be found at http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/u...hers-rights-v2
                It's not a question of Photographers Rights more about printing the names of those involved. If you were writing an article on the event you would expect the names to be used. However, you've posted the names of the competitors on a forum which has nothing to do with the press or with the Athletics Sports Governing Body. Also I'm assuming you signed up to the Event Organisers Photographers Register or Signing In Sheet to enable you to take the images.
                rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Here are the guildlines from the NSPCC - basically we have to get permission from the children to publish the photos - which is in line with the restrictions at my school

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/cpsu/..._wda61580.html
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    Here are the guildlines from the NSPCC - basically we have to get permission from the children to publish the photos - which is in line with the restrictions at my school

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/cpsu/..._wda61580.html
                    You are incorrect - It's not an event that would be covered by School Guidelines or the NSPCC. It would be the Athletics Governing Body.
                    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Sorry - I think we had crossed wires here - however I think it is probably incorrect to publish names of minors on this site.
                      ef-r

Comment

Seems that unless it is made Law NOT to print names/pics of youngsters, every organisation is gong to have their own set of guidelines - which I doubt are enforceable by Law if the event is on Public land.

I still cant see the difference between an 'official' body (eg the Harrier club) publishing names and images, and the same being published on here or elsewhere? What difference does it make that a photographer may or may not have 'official' sanction? Its the viewing audience that will find the information, whether its authorised or not.

Comment

Originally posted by theredun View Post
                          Seems that unless it is made Law NOT to print names/pics of youngsters, every organisation is gong to have their own set of guidelines - which I doubt are enforceable by Law if the event is on Public land.

I still cant see the difference between an 'official' body (eg the Harrier club) publishing names and images, and the same being published on here or elsewhere? What difference does it make that a photographer may or may not have 'official' sanction? Its the viewing audience that will find the information, whether its authorised or not.
                          If there isn't a specific law then surely common sense would take precedence. I.E. Don’t publish the names of under 16’s on this sort of forum as it isn’t a news or press related site.

The post has been written as if it was reporting on the race rather than discussing the images.

Comment

Originally posted by rhodopsin View Post
                            I'm assuming you signed up to the Event Organisers Photographers Register or Signing In Sheet to enable you to take the images.
                            The event does not have a Register or Signing In Sheet, nor would it mater as the event takes place in a public park, so the event organiser has zero authority over photography.

There is far to much fuss being made over the naming of children. The event had widely and publicly available programs of the event with each persons race number, name,club, club colours and the age group they were running in. A full entry list was available for download before the event and a full results list in downloadable now. Anybody who was interested in find who a person was, would find it VERY easy.

I'll take the photos are crap too. then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              The event does not have a Register or Signing In Sheet, nor would it mater as the event takes place in a public park, so the event organiser has zero authority over photography.

There is far to much fuss being made over the naming of children. The event had widely and publicly available programs of the event with each persons race number, name,club, club colours and the age group they were running in. A full entry list was available for download before the event and a full results list in downloadable now. Anybody who was interested in find who a person was, would find it VERY easy.

I'll take the photos are crap too. then.
                              The Photo are rather good - no problem there.

With regards to land use. Organisers have to seek permission to use land whether public or private. The land owner (council or private) may have a say in how the event is run insofar as "Child Protection" is concerned. So it is always best to seek the Organisers permision before you get the camera out of the bag.

England Athletics do indeed have a policy which can be found at http://www.englandathletics.org/page...nTitle=Welfare

A PDF copy can be found by clicking >>> HERE <<< . It's a PDF copy from the England Athletics Site - worth a read.
                              Last edited by rhodopsin; 11-01-2010, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X