All in a days work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All in a days work

Just for a change I'll give an insight into my day covering the action I'll Try to keep as short as i can!

Having a full time job does get in the way but fortunately i work Nights so have Saturday afternoons off.
    So get home about 9am and get a few hours sleep up around 12 for lunch/breakfast then check local sporting websites for any big games or postponements that may come up especially with all this bad weather we're having.

Then a Quick text to my boss to check which are the most important matches to cover and if there's any specific shots required (team photos/manager's/certain players/people or crowds).

My job list is ladies hockey followed by the Men's check next door if there's any football as according to the web there's a team playing but doubtful then to rugby 1st and seconds both at home with the 1st the priority.

Once that's sorted its planning my route were to start and finish as i need to move from one place to another quickly as most team start at the same time which means i only have 90mins to cover 4/5 games and also I'm racing against the light this time of year.

Now to my gear making sure all the batteries are charged and checking i have the wide angle lens for the group images if needed /flash/400mm/camera and check setting are approximately right for what I'm going to be doing first.

Then out the door and on my way to the first job Ladies hockey, as with the first games the light is good so no real problems shots in the bag just have to wait for the men's team to start while waiting i just have a check on the football match nets are on but no sign of any teams warming up so looks like one less team to cover.

Men's hockey now underway so time to get as many shots as i can with also one eye on the time as i have to travel a mile or so to get to the rugby.

Jump in car and move on to the rugby car park is full and the overflow closed due to the mud so have to park 100s of yards away and run back to the ground it's half time for the 1st and the 2nds have just started their second half so that gives me a chance to capture some of their game first whilst the 1st have there half time break.

1st are now back out so best move back and capture those as there the main priority but light is now very low and I will be shooting in the dark very soon thank god for the 5D and f2.8 lenses.

Once home and coffee in hand it's time to upload all the images and sort them out as to which images i will use for the papers this is were a lot of time is wasted waiting to upload then checking all the images to then sharpening/straightening/cropping images that i think are worthy of being published from each game.

With all games sorted and folders arranged their now uploaded to dropbox for the editor to use and that's my work done for today just Hull City ladies to cover on Sunday so feet up and spent the rest of Saturday evening relaxing with my wife or maybe not she gone to bed looks like its just me and the dog.

#1 ladies hockey

Action Images by Paul Linton, on Flickr

#2 Men's hockey

#3 Rugby 2nds

#4 Rugby 1st

#5 Hull City LFC

Last edited by paul linton; 11-01-2016, 12:12.
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: All in a days work

Sounds a very hectic schedule Paul - but excellent photographs as always!
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
      Sounds a very hectic schedule Paul - but excellent photographs as always!
      Thanks Jock
      At least the weather was kind to me this week i stayed dry lol.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

It does sound manic Paul, do you get chance to enjoy the sport you are photographing, or do you do it for the Buzz of having to come up with
        the images for the press, l get all tense when l do my motorsport and l do that for fun, so can't imagine the stress you put yourself under.

Comment

Glad you kept it short out of breath reading it but as usual really good images

Alan

Comment

You certainly pack some work into a short time Paul. Thanks for the insight into your afternoon shooting this type of photography. Good captures [emoji106]
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by Wrinklyrocker View Post
              It does sound manic Paul, do you get chance to enjoy the sport you are photographing, or do you do it for the Buzz of having to come up with
              the images for the press, l get all tense when l do my motorsport and l do that for fun, so can't imagine the stress you put yourself under.
              No stress as i love doing it.

Only time I've felt stressed is when i did the tour de Yorkshire and they needed specific shots and plus it was for an agency who contacted me the day before so didn't have any time to plan!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
                Glad you kept it short out of breath reading it but as usual really good images

Alan
                Sorry Alan didn't mean for it to be so long, I'm not the best at doing articles so you can see why I'm a photographer and not a reporter

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                  You certainly pack some work into a short time Paul. Thanks for the insight into your afternoon shooting this type of photography. Good captures [emoji106]
                  Thanks Peter
                  It's exactly what it was meant to be just an insight as to what goes on for the Papers(though a bit long winded Sorry).
                  I have it easy just doing the sport, the full time photographer is at it all day and often late into the evening rather him than me.

Paul

Comment

Wow, what. Schedule. I was exhausted just reading it. But it sounds like you got this down like clock work. Well done as always Paul

Tom

Comment

A great insight to what you go through for something you enjoy Paul. And you've bagged some good shot too
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I didn't see cake mentioned anywhere there? Although I'm sure that you find time for it somewhere as I understand that all the best photographers make time for cake.
                        Paul

Comment

I got tired just reading it

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                            Wow, what. Schedule. I was exhausted just reading it. But it sounds like you got this down like clock work. Well done as always Paul

Tom
                            Thanks Tom

Its good to be organised and ready to go as there's no second chance with sport they won't wait till you arrive or take that shot again because you missed it, you have to be on the front foot from the start.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                              A great insight to what you go through for something you enjoy Paul. And you've bagged some good shot too
                              Thanks Alan

At the end of the day it's all about the shots, nobody really cares what's needed to get them lol.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X