Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOM TT

Hi folks,
    I am still very much learning with my camera, a canon 60D, i am going over to the TT races this year and would very much like to try and get some good slow and fast shots of the bikes. I only have the basic lense 17-85, what would you recommend i use i think you can get pretty close to the action if this helps, also i thought maybe i could hire a suitable lense for the occasion with a possibility of buying later.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim.

Re: IOM TT

I think you will struggle a bit with the 17-85. I have shot motor sport action at Thruxton, where you can get close and although I have longer lenses my 70-200 was an ideal length,, sometimes with a 1.4 converter attached. So that is one suggestion, an alternative to try would be the canon 70-300 f4-5.6 L IS which would give you a similar focal range

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

If your going to hire a lens (with the thought of buying at a later date) then I would highly recommend the 70-200 2.8 mkII and the 1.4 extender.

The extender just in case you 'need' that little extra, and the 2.8 version because you may want to use the extender ;-)

Up until last year I used that lens / extender combo almost exclusively for racing, cars and bikes and still use it as my 'fallback' option now.

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

The above advice is sound, and you won't beat the quality of those lenses. But, if you want to buy a more affordable lens, I have a 75-300mmEF f4-5.6III which I used to shoot motorsport a couple of years ago. Here are a few of my shots with it The first 2 are with my 70-200f4L, and the others with the 75-300. It's not the best low light performer for sure, but I like it as a decent, affordable long lens. Depends on your budget really. Last year I went to the British Grand Prix. Hired this 100-400L from Lenses for Hire, . Now that is a beast!

Best of luck,

Garry.
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hello Jim
          it looks you have great advice above - it comes down to budget and choice of course
          - best option I think is from DavidS - 70-200 2.8 mkii (fast focus, superb image quality and that narrow DOF will give a variety of options on the day. The 1.4 mike extender will add extra reach with no impact on IQ). However its expensive and some may say a little heavy (I have both and they are exceptional)
          - An excellent choice reccommended by Stan and Digiman is the 70-200L F4 (ideally IS) or the 70-300 f4-5.6 L IS. Canon L glass is not cheap of course but both will take excellent images. Another option mentioned by Digimon is the 100-400mm (I had the mk1 version and used it to photograph hummingbirds and it was excellent (the Mkii I hear is even better)

The reality is that pretty much any Canon or good third party manufacturer (Sigma, Tamron etc) ideally with image stabilisation will do a good job if you have reasonable panning technique and settings.
          I recommend thinking longer term to what type of photography you like and what lens you need that suites budget to avoid to many upgrades later.

hope it helps
          Cheers
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG001 View Post
            The reality is that pretty much any Canon or good third party manufacturer (Sigma, Tamron etc) ideally with image stabilisation will do a good job if you have reasonable panning technique and settings.
            For panning, is IS that necessary? I remember reading somewhere (on this forum I think) that due to the panning action, IS is pointless. I din't have IS on any of my lenses, and can't say it is something I hanker after. That said, with more static shots, such as those hummingbirds you mentioned, I can imagine it is a Godsend! I guess it is what you want to shoot that is the deciding factor there. Also, if the budget allows, I suppose it is better to have and not want, than to not have and want!

Just my thoughts,

Garry

Comment

Yep you are right Garry
              It's not strictly necessary but there is an IS mode for panning (takes out vertical shake so a better chance of getting the horizontal only movement in the shot)
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG001 View Post
                It's not strictly necessary but there is an IS mode for panning (takes out vertical shake so a better chance of getting the horizontal only movement in the shot)
                Cheers
                Dave
                AAhhh, every day's a school day! Cheers for that Dave

Garry

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys,
                  I kind of had been thinking on perhaps 70-300 f4 5.6 L IS USM but was looking at the tamron 70- 300 f4 5.6 SP DI VC USD also and it is a lot cheaper than the Canon, i,m sure it wouldn't be in the same league but it seems to get favourable reviews and may be good enough for my needs.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by newtodslr View Post
                    Hi folks,
                    I am still very much learning with my camera, a canon 60D, i am going over to the TT races this year and would very much like to try and get some good slow and fast shots of the bikes. I only have the basic lense 17-85, what would you recommend i use i think you can get pretty close to the action if this helps, also i thought maybe i could hire a suitable lense for the occasion with a possibility of buying later.
                    Any help would be appreciated.
                    Thanks,
                    Jim.
                    I went over to the IOM in September for the Rally IOM and decided that as I did not have the knowledge to get around the Island to find suitable locations to take shots so ended up acting as a competitor's service car driver and spent a lot of time driving the TT course to get to the stages. After the event I reviewed the local Motorsport photographers who know the best spots. I suggest you check out the TT photos and try and work out where they were taken. Don't forget to find a safe spot as Motorsport is very dangerous especially on the TT course. Have fun it's a great Island and everyone is so friendly. You might find it difficult to get around while the racing is ON.

Comment

Working...
                    X