Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Speed Competition, Unused Shots for C&C

Hello All,

I have been reading and contributing to Nathanials exellent thread ref Comments on Pic's posted on the Forum.

It gave me food for thought and helped me make my decision to post some of the shots I took for the recent speed competition before deciding on which to use, came nowhere by the way!!

I have added comments on why I took the shot in relation to "Speed" and the EXIF data with the hope that I will get some of your thoughts and advice of how they could have been improved with different settings.

All shots are taken with Canon 50D and 100 - 400L

1) My Dog Ollie at "Spaniel Speed" having been called to me.
    Taken at F11, 1/500 sec, ISO 320, Exp Comp NIL, Focal Length 400mm, TV.

2) Narrow Boat, "Full Speed Ahead Captain"
    Taken at F5.6, 1/160 sec, ISO100, Exp Comp +0.3, Focal Length 400mm, AV.

3) Tractor and Plough as a reflection of the old saying, "Speed the Plough"
    Taken at F5, 1/500 sec, ISO 320, Exp Comp +1, Focal Length 130mm, AV.

4) Need to get the Speed Right for Touchdown.
    Taken at F5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, Exp Comp +1, Focal Length 400mm, TV.

5) "Take Off Speed"...... (Chosen for the Comp)
    Taken at F9, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, exp Comp +1, Focal Length 400mm, TV.

6) Too Much Speed, So........"Pop the Parachute"
    Taken at F5.6, 1/640 sec, ISO 160, Exp Comp +1, Focal Length 400mm, TV

As said, Comments welcome, did SWMBO choose the right pic to enter the comp??

Paul

Re: Forum Speed Competition, Unused Shots for C&C

Well the spaniel shot may not automatically bring speed to mind but you have blur in the paws, skin movement in the face and most of all.......I don't care if it's technically great
    I love spaniels............It gets my vote whatever the competition :-)
    Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

I agree for me the best shot depicting speed was the Spaniel, lovely action and blur in the right places. The only thing that I think may have helped would have been a different background, my reason for saying that is the general colour is similar to the colour of Ollie's fur, if there had been more contrast I think it may well have made the action really pop out with more impact.

I still love the image

Comment

Hi Paul;

First off, I applaud your wide selection of theme potential... good thinking all round...

My initial thoughts about 'settings' were that in general, they probably look about right.

As for which was best for the entry; here's my tuppence worth...

While I'm normally a 'plane-nut' (or just plain nuts), so far, I've found the Typhoon exceedingly difficult to capture in anything approaching a 'stunning' moment. While all of your Typhoon shots show the 'theme' none really 'do it' for me!

The Narrow-boat is too cluttered and 'busy' for me, and could have been taken anywhere, depicting anything... although I've just noticed SWMBO sitting in the front with a 'stern' look on her 'boat' (Sorry; couldn't resist it...)

The tractor & plough, to me, is 'just' a country scene, and really doesn't portray 'speed' which just leaves...

Ollie... and IMO - this would have been my entry. Maybe a little 'kitsch', but still does what was needed... You just gotta luv those spaniel ears flying around... I would though, I think, have shot from a slightly lower level (maybe laying on the ground), and had him coming straight at me; using a wider aperture than f/11 to give less DoF...

Cheers...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Nice group of photos ,like the narrow boat photo.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Paul, the Spaniel is my favourite. Perhaps I am biased as I am a dog lover! They are lovely pets and never fail to amuse me, esp when I am stressed out- whatever the cause cause. I am glad that you felt bold enough to post your photos since all that jazz about Photographic comments.
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 01-10-2010, 09:40.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Paul,
              Ollie gets my vote for all the reasons which Muscat has said.
              I like the energy that Ollie is giving out and you have caught him in full flight with feet of the ground and ears at take off position.
              However, if Ollie is like my beagle then he will go where he wants to go and nothing you can do about it.

David
              David

Comment

Thinking of the photo’s in general, I am a bit of an aircraft nut, so the Typhoon shots are always going to interest me. Very competent shots of what they are, but when entering a competition, you really need something with the wow factor. The narrow boat and tractor equally OK, but do you subconsciously think speed when you look at them? Probably not. Ollie is a cracker of a shot and although it isn’t high on Wow, it scores maximum and then some on cute. So Ollie is the best shot of all of them.

The problem is that it wasn’t an open competition and Ollie doesn’t really meet the criteria for speed. Yes, he is running reasonably fast, but I would suggest that speed isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you view the shot. I remember judging a competition once at a camera club and the subject was bridges. Most of the work was superb quality. The most beautiful landscapes you could ever wish to see, with a tiny little bridge tucked somewhere in the background. They didn’t fulfil the subject criteria and were marked down accordingly. The winning shot was nowhere near the quality of some of the others, but it had two bridges dominating the picture.

So, with that in mind, “She Who Must be Obeyed” was right to pick the Typhoon taking off into the sunset. Of all of your shots, that was the one that most depicted Speed.

You’re on bread and dripping next week because she sent me the “House keeping” in a brown envelope to say she was right!

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Hello All,
                  Thanks for all the nice comments about my efforts.

Interesting to see that most appeared to feel that the theme Speed meant Fast, as you can see my thoughts did not really show speed as being fast as such, just a form of movement or even an interpretation of an old proverb, "Speed the Plough"

Fully agree that none really had the WOW factor though, would have been nice if the Typhoon taking off had lit the Burners, I think that would have helped.

Everyone seems to have liked Ollie, I do find it difficult to get him in focus, especially when running towards me, I actually have two of the little bu**ers, I will post a pic soon of Ollies's older brother Oscar!!!

Still pondering over the theme of the latest comp, I haven't come up with much so far but SWMBO is in Ideas Overdrive!!!

Watch this space!! Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X