• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior cycling

Colourful Crowd of cyclists
    F2.8 1/1250 ISO 100

Panning in tv mode 1/100 ok bg

Panning in tv mode 1/80 messy bg

Going back later today snap some more, ao I can put in practice any advice offered

Trev

Re: Junior cycling

Good set of images giving a feeling of the event

Comment

Fantastic shots Trev, so colourful and sharp - I love the panning shots as I am doing this in my course and just cannot seem to get the hang of it. Really impressed.

Joanne
      To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Nice set Trev, nowt wrong with the panning technique

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I went back to take some more, like i said. I will post after this.

I love the panning shots as I am doing this in my course and just cannot seem to get the hang of it.
          Joanne, I can't remember the last time I did any panning before today. It was good to get some practice in.

Trev

Comment

Looks like perfect panning to me. Clear face blurred background, but number one is my fave, looks like they where on a hill climb. Lovely colour.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Trev

Great set and lovely panning technique,good strong colours as well, looks like a very successful days shoot.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Excellent Trevor particularly 2 and 3 where the panning and slow shutter really gives a sense of speed

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Thanks for the comments :-)

I’ve had a bit of ‘previous’ with panning and on this occasion must have been at it for at least an hour solid so the results were getting fairly consistent, maybe 70% hit rate.

If anyone’s new to panning or wants to try it, I will try to share what I do, not saying it’s right.
                  The camera is setup TV + AI servo - continuous rather than one shot.
                  Setting the shutter speed will depend on the subject speed and distance from you. I knew 1/80 -1/125 would be OK. The slower the shutterspeed the better the blurred BG but keeper rate falls.

I do a 180 degree sweep and click of a couple of snaps when the bike is parallel with the front on the lens. I focus on the subject through the sweep. I am sure I probably look a bit comical when I do this as sometimes I’m ducking down a bit. To attempt to get the bike a suitable size in the frame,(composition) I just look up the road to see where the bike is on the road then set my zoom range accordingly, in advance. Choosing a reasonable BG is important, I was a bit limited bacause I didn't fancy a major hike to get an optimal postion. :-))

I haven’t worked out how to get a shot when there is a big group of bikes, I'd like to get several bikes sharp, maybe someone can advise me. All of my attempts ended in failure.

I put the rest of the pix I’ve converted in a link rather than post them.
                  The panned shots are all on the same BG and basically look the same. I don’t see the point in converting them all. A job for some day I have time to kill :-)

Trev
                  Last edited by Trevoreast; 23-05-2011, 23:14.

Comment

Hi Trev

Thanks for sharing that information. Could i ask you why you have chosen the continuous mode than one shot, is this what we should be doing for panning?
                    Raj
                    Flickr

Comment

Could i ask you why you have chosen the continuous mode than one shot, is this what we should be doing for panning?
                      Hi Rajjayaraj, just habit really, thinking about it, at slower shutter speeds with fast, close things it probably doesn't make that much sense :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                        Hi Rajjayaraj, just habit really, thinking about it, at slower shutter speeds with fast, close things it probably doesn't make that much sense :-)

Trev
                        An "old" hand who is rather proficient at panning told me to always shoot in continuous when panning as it is really a "mental" thing in that if you are single shot shooting then the body will stop the panning action for a nono second after the single shot but if you are continuous shooting then the body will keep turning to continue the panning action...

David
                        David

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post

Trev
                          It makes sense for anything that is moving - I do the same as well
                          ef-r

Comment

Thanks Trev, David and Brian. I will remember this next time when i try this.
                            Raj
                            Flickr

Comment

Great shots Trev and thanks for sharing your knowledge. As raj has asked, is it neccessary to use continuous for panning? Also am I right in thinking that panning should be done in the direction of the movement?
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 24-05-2011, 19:12.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X