X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wing walkers again

IMG_0507.jpgIMG_0526.jpg

comments welcome please
    Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Re: wing walkers again

I keep trying to work out whether they're brave or crazy
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Nice composition, but the images seem a little soft.

Tom

Comment

You have got the prop blur fine so the shutter speed was about right but as Tom says they are a bit soft. They could also both do with a bit of brightening as they are around 1 stop underexposed

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks guys the settings were
          f14 200/sec iso200 +.7 step

I,m using a 7D with a 100-400L is I keep seeing reports this lens can be on the soft side am I setting up wrong or could it be a lens problem. Its not a case of bad workman blaimeing his tools just want to get it right.
          Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Deefa,

I have the same set up, the 100-400 is a big lens to hold steady at 1/200, you should still get prop blur at 1/250, I know it's not much difference but it is something.
            If you are shooting planes which are just doing fly by's you could use a Monopod to help keep you steady, but they are no good if trying to follow something aerobatic.
            Do you have the IS on setting 2 for panning? I have done quite a bit of reading on this lens for aviation shots and a lot of people seem to turn the IS off at Airshows, there is certainly a school of thought that IS setting 2 slows down focusing the minute you change to a vertical movement with the lens instead of horizontal.
            This is only stuff I have read on aviation forums, I have nothing to back up these comments and to be honest I always use IS on setting 2 for planes, so perhaps I need to do some experimenting.
            Will be interesting to get some views of others more experienced with panning and IS generally.

Regards Paul

Comment

Hi Paul

Like you I did quite a bit of research before buying this lens ( all be it second hand ) and the majority of people said what good results they'd had from it. I,ve really only used it for aviation pics but I,m going to Bovington tank museum for battle day on Wednesday so i,ll take it along and see how it performs on a slower moving subject.

ps Yes just checked to verify but I am using IS 2

Thanks for your information every little helps.

Chris

Comment

The 100-400L is capable of yielding very good results, but it prefers lots of light AND a handling knack.

If you are still getting use to it I'd be inclined to forget about prop blur and concentrate on the panning with a high shutter speed to start with. Then work the shutter speed down to 1/250 and you'll be in the realm of prop blur. It is a large lens and needs time to get your technique right. Also try turning the IS off and see what happens for yourself. Conduct a pseudo-scientific set of tests and see what transpires.

Also if I remember the lens is best at f/8 (so stick to f/5.6 - f/11) [if you can].

Comment

Thanks MX5 & Paul your input is very much appreciated and I,ll give your suggestions a try on Wednesday and see what happens.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I prefer to take at slightly higher shutter speeds, because I like to see a medium amount of prop blur. I don't like to see an almost invisible propeller - if you get the aircraft at the wrong light angle then you can quite easily 'loose' the prop and then the aircraft looks almost like an airfix kit. I much prefer 1/320 or 1/400sec - you also get a sharper picture, too. MX is right about the 100-400mil it likes plenty of light, so don't be afraid to bump up the ISO on a dull day, to get f8 or better.

TTFN,
                    Neil
                    Last edited by Neilly; 25-09-2012, 11:20.
                    Neilly's Flickr Page
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                    Facebook
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Thanks Neil

As I said before any tips or info is always greatly appreciated.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X