Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitfire Flies Again!!!

Hi All,

These are not good shots but I hope tell a little story.

Taken at RAF Coningsby on the same visit this week as my Sunsets Take Two thread.

This Spitfire, a MK 16 with Clipped Wings, has not flown for nearly 60 years, it has been the subject of a 12 year restoration by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Engineers in their Spare Time!! all unpaid voluntary work, in lunch breaks, days off and holidays.

For many years it stood outside at RAF bases as a gate guardian, it eventually came to the BBMF as really a pile of bits, without even an engine.

This day was it's first "Official" test flight, piloted by the OC of the BBMF, Squadron Leader Duncan Mason.

The majority of the flight took place a long way off the airfield and the first shot is a very heavy crop from a very distant shot, it shows the Spit pulling out of a Loop.

The rest are obviously coming in to land, and again sadly he chose a left hand circuit so I only managed to get underwing shots as he banked on to finals.

1a by pelliott1954, on Flickr

2 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

3 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

4 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

As said, not high quality, but I hope they are of interest

Regards Paul
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 15-12-2012, 14:09.

Re: Spitfire Flies Again!!!

Hi Paul

What an achievement restoring the spitfire in all it's glory, I think the shots are brilliant by the way was there any significance with the clipped wings.

Chris
    EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

These are great shots, Paul!
      Well done indeed
      Andy

Comment

Thanks Chris.

The Clipped wings were initially done on Mk 5 Spitfires to counteract the menace of the Luftwaffe's introduction of the Focke Wulfe 190, it gave the Spit a faster roll rate. It was then done again on other marks of the Spit later in the war when a lot of their flying was at Low level doing ground attack, as this is where the extra roll rate was most effective.
        I think we can be reasonably sure that the Pilots didn't particularly like them as they were referred to as "Clipped, Cropped and Clapped"

Regards Paul

Comment

Cheers for the explanation Paul, it sure is some machine and an engineering triumph in its own right
          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Paul, thanks for the info and great shots of a piece of history being restored

Comment

Spitfire Flies Again!!!

What a fantastic set.

Shane.

Comment

A great set Paul
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Chris, Andy, Muscat, Shane and Stephen for having a look and for your kind comments.

Regards Paul
                  Last edited by pelliott1954; 17-12-2012, 09:57.

Comment

Marvellous and a tribute to all who gave up their time.

I am not a fan of the clipped wings, but any Spitfire is much better than none at all.
                    Colin

Comment

It's a spitfire - what more can be said other than a HUGE thank you to the guys (and wives) for restoring her.

For tight crops they are still superb shots, very nicely done

.DAVID.
                      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Colin and David.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X