Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barkston Christmas Bash!

Hi All,

Another Barkston Christmas Bash has come and gone - I really don't know where 2012 went to - just glad it's gone!!! The weather was dry, but bloomin' windy and cold with it. However, it didn't stop the flying. there were several new models - A lightning, which has gotta be one of the best models I've ever seen through a viewfinder it looked so real! A Vulcan - all 20ft wingspan of it. This model is so big, you need to see it to appreciate its size. Also, a Bearcat in FAA colours (and No, the FAA didn't have any Bearcats - the guy who owns it didn't want another dark blue colour scheme) and a Fairy Battle.

Happy New Year to all,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Re: Barkston Christmas Bash!

Vert nice series of images Neil. Although the 1st image is a stand out for me. However they are all very good.

Tom

Comment

Bloody marvellous and that lightning is superb. The B&W version looks like it could have been the real thing from 30 years ago.
      Colin

Comment

Neil, don't know how you do it - I have enough trouble with full sized versions! exceptional as always and very hard to pick between #1, #2 and #4, real shame that a little more 'work' wasn't put into the cockpit / glass of the Vulcan, it's the only bit that sort of sticks out in #4 - not sure how he / they would do it though, maybe an airbrush artist could be let loose on it.

big thumbs up from me again

.DAVID.
        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Barkston Christmas Bash!

Neil,
          You really have a great talent for this type of photography - one could easily be fooled into thinking they are full size aircraft. It's the way you get the angle of attack spot on and just the right amount of blur in the prop blades - excellent ! I'm told that photographing full size aircraft is somewhat easier - do you find that is the case? What appeals to me is that these large scale models have such a range of type and period that can not be duplicated in the full size aircraft world.
          If you need any body to go with you next time and carry you camera bag I'm your man !!
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Perfect.

Comment

Lovely set Neil #1 and 2 really stand out
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                The B&W version looks like it could have been the real thing from 30 years ago.
                Why? Were these planes painted in black & white 30 years ago
                (just having one of my moments)

Neil .. I never know if the planes are real or models.
                They are so, so good.
                Very inspirational, very well done
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Ah the EE Lightning in raw aluminium and the Vulcan in flash white ... just superb.

I have total admiration for these model engineers who build trains, 'planes, and things with such a devotion to detail and pedantry (something I admire in people). Your model engineering friends must really appreciate your skill and dedication in showing such high quality photos of their hard earned work.

Stephen ... as someone once said "There's something strange and powerful about black and white imagery." ... sez he watching "Sherlock Holmes and the House of Fear" ... the 1945 release.

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. I never used to like black and white pictures, but as I get older I seem to appreciate them more.

I agree with you David - I would love to see a proper cockpit, but Dave Johnson seems to like the blanked out look. I was hoping to see both the Vulcan and Lightning up together. This was supposed to happen but one of the Vulcan's 4 engines woudn't keep running - a sensor wire was shorting out and had to be replaced. When the Vulcan was flying the engine stopped again - didn't seem to effect the model though.

A few more pics -

I have to add - the pilots of these models are very, very good and they make my life very easy, taking these pictures. Any time anyone wants to come to a show let me know, I'm sure I'll be able to get a spare ticket or two.

Happy New Year to all,
                    Neil
                    Neilly's Flickr Page
                    Facebook

Comment

As usual Neil a great set. I hope that some of these models make it on the wider tour during 2013 and hope that I may get to see them at some tim

Comment

Thanks, Muscat. I think most of those models will be seen around the country sooner or later this year. The Vulcan certainly will - Dave Johnson who built it, is the chairman of the LMA.

I'll post this note in the get together section - Barkston Warbirds is on April 13-14th. No admission charges just turn up and sign in between 8.30 & 9.30am.

Happy New Year,
                        Neil
                        Neilly's Flickr Page
                        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                          I'll post this note in the get together section - Barkston Warbirds is on April 13-14th. No admission charges just turn up and sign in between 8.30 & 9.30am.
                          brilliant images, at first glance you wouldnt know they were models... the Bearcat did confuse me for a bit though, with those markings I was trying to make it something else.

Think I'll be putting the 13th and 14th April in my diary
                          Elaine

1Ds mk III;
                          24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
                          580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

Superb as always Neil, really like the Lightning shots, and the Hawk and Dakota of the second set too.

There is a good view of some serious engineering work on the Vulcan Undercarriage too.

Can you give us all a Bump nearer the time for the April bash at Barkston, being so close I would like to come but am highly likely to forget and we don't have a 2013 calendar yet!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Absolutley stunning, you have a great technique with these models, the models themselves too are really impresive some with 20ft wingspan (Vulcan) must be amazing to see in the field.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X