Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CF -18 @ Mach 0.98!

Hi All,

Yes you read it correctly - a CF-18 Super Hornet going at a speed just under the speed of sound. I felt the shock waves before the aircraft went passed. I can't imagine this ever being allowed in the UK. I'll post more pictures from the Hamilton Air Show soon.

TTFN,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Re: CF -18 @ Mach 0.98!

Is that air that's causing the disturbance along the edges of the wings?
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Like the way you got the air coming off the wings.

Tom

Comment

Hi Neil,

Actually it is a CF-18 Hornet. Canada does not have the Super Hornet.

However, the Canadian Forces' CF-18 Hornets have been improved to the point where their capabilities closely resemble those of the US Navy F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet.

The CF-18 can carry the same payload as the Super Hornet and is equipped with identical weapons. However, the Super Hornet is bigger and lighter than the CF-18 and has a greater combat radius thanks to better aerodynamics and larger fuel capacity.

Great shot though. It is hard to freeze a plane going that fast, but you caught it perfectly!
        Last edited by Greatestape; 19-06-2013, 15:46.

Comment

Great shot Neil, enjoy the show

Comment

Super shot Neil, keep them coming.

Regards Paul

Comment

Brilliant shot.

Doug.
              Cameras... 7D, 350D
              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                I can't imagine this ever being allowed in the UK.
                It used to be allowed. Farnborough in the 50s, particularly, when the resultant sonic boom (and the number of broken windows across the region) was tolerated.
                Breaking the sound barrier is now illegal over UK land, and has been for years. A Typhoon did cause a boom over the Home Counties last week while catching up with an airliner in a terrorist alert, but it's frowned upon and not a good career move, apparently.
                So no, you're unlikely to find anything doing Mach 0.98 at an airshow here. It's just too close a speed to an inadvertant boom, so sensible pilots will keep speed well down to ensure it's not a career-stopper.
                Last edited by NickM; 20-06-2013, 00:20.
                I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X