Fleet Air Arm Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fleet Air Arm Museum

Herelf and myself paid a visit today. It's a hard place photograph as many of the exhibits are close together with not much room around them so a wide-angle is pretty much mandatory to get any significant part of the planes in. On top of that the light is very poor with loads of shiny surfaces so flash isn't an option for most of the time and I'd left my tripod at home as we originally plane to visit the the HCT in Andover. Leaving high ISO - in this case pretty much always at 3200 - as the only option.

So this is a few of the best shots I managed to wring out of the day, all with my 7D and Tamron 10-24mm.

Fairey Flycatcher, a rather apposite name considering what I spend most of my time shooting:

IMG_8153 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

A reproduction Sopwith Pup:

IMG_8135 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

Vought F4U Corsair (KD 431):

IMG_8178 by andymulhearn, on Flickr
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Fleet Air Arm Museum

I think with that sort of venue it is probably best to go for detail rather than the whole plane as there is always going to be some distraction or other to spoil the shot

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Considering the issues you highlight you did very well.
      Like Stan suggested I'd have been tempted to go for details, shapes and patterns but then that's my personal preference.
      Andy

Comment

I tried that but having left everything other than the 10-24mm in the car, I didn't have the reach. I'll go with the 17-85 next time.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Nicely done Andy

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
            I tried that but having left everything other than the 10-24mm in the car, I didn't have the reach. I'll go with the 17-85 next time.
            Don't you just hate that when you head out thinking wide angle then when there you wished you brought another lens !! done that myself loads of times ...

I do agree with Stan going in close would have been a better way forward, but what you've posted are fine photos ... Its interesting you post this as I was at a similar crowed / busy event yesterday but went in quite close, hopefully get the photos PP'd later
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Considering the issues you highlight you did very well.
              Like Stan suggested I'd have been tempted to go for details, shapes and patterns but then that's my personal preference.
              Cheers Andy. We have a year to go back for free so I'll probably give the detail approach a go next time.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                Nicely done Andy
                Thanks Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  Don't you just hate that when you head out thinking wide angle then when there you wished you brought another lens !! done that myself loads of times ...
                  Yep. Still learning this, and I don't expect to ever know more than a fraction of it.

I do agree with Stan going in close would have been a better way forward, but what you've posted are fine photos ... Its interesting you post this as I was at a similar crowed / busy event yesterday but went in quite close, hopefully get the photos PP'd later
                  I'll look out for it

Comment

Working...
                  X