Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came across the experimental gas turbine locomotive 18000 parked at the Didcot Railway Centre awaiting restoration (sadly only cosmetic). Spent time in Switzerland after being "scrapped" here.
    As a "one off" it apparently was expensive, unreliable and proved a dead-end - the only other gas turbine thing in Britain was the prototype APT.

7D + 24-105L.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: 18000

One wonders what might have happened if Gas Turbine's proved better than Diesel or Electric motive power.

It's the Rover gas turbine cars that always amazed me.

Comment

Great capture Chris. Are you familiar with this bonkers idea.....?

Robin

Comment

Thanks for the link, Robin. Yes, Bulleid produced some strange but quite effective things - his Q1 must be the ugliest steam loco to have run on British lines but was also the most powerful (?). I'll post an image of it shortly.
        Cheers, Chris.
        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Hi Chris;

Good find... it's been a long while since I went to Didcot; perhaps it's time for another visit...

Cheers;

Lee
          Cheers;
          Lee
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
          5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
          17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
            Thanks for the link, Robin. Yes, Bulleid produced some strange but quite effective things - his Q1 must be the ugliest steam loco to have run on British lines but was also the most powerful (?). I'll post an image of it shortly.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Right (I Think?) the Q1 was the most powerful 0-6-0 ever built. yes its ugly, but was it powerful...
            Bullied was way ahead of his time in many respects, for steam engineering.

Comment

Another Ugly was the MR 0-10-0 Lickey Banker ... my late dad reckoned he had shown me this unique loco around 1954 ... but I can't recall. Although I do recall LMS Garratt's 2-6-0+0-6-2 ...

Ahhhhhh miss the 'real' steam days.

Comment

Well done Chris

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X