Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.4 x Extender

Hi,
    Looking to get a bit more extra reach for my pictures. I have 70-200 f4 IS for my 5D Mk11 and realised I still couldn't get a good close up of my daughter playing in the school musical evening (indoors).
    Having splashed-out on the lens I'm looking at whether I should go for the 1.4x extender or save up for a 100-400?

Anyone have any recommendation? I've read some bad things about using extenders (loss of autofocus, losing 1-2 stops) and they seem expensive for what they do. Is it worth saving for the 100-400?

Thanks
    Last edited by robboid; 16-04-2012, 17:31.

Re: 1.4 x Extender

If you opt for a Canon 1.4TC rather than a third party, you will retain as near enough IQ as without the TC.

You will lose a stop of light, consequently, the autofocus speed will be slower, but not significantly so with a 1.4TC, autofocus is retained with the lens you mentioned.

So a Canon 1.4TC would be my choice, avoiding the 2.0TC
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I have the Sigma 1.4 which is marginally lower IQ than the Canon but marginally faster focussing. It is, however, more than marginally cheaper.

On the other hand, I use 200mm for stage shows frequently and it's good for close-ups from 2/3rds of the way back in a professional theatre, so you shouldn't struggle on length. If you're using full RAW or large jpeg you can crop comfortably without losing much resolution unless you want to print at A2 size.

Generally with stage shows you don't want to go to a smaller aperture than f/4 unless you've got plenty of ISO capability.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I use the canon 1.4 all the time with my 70-200 F4 L non IS. Have noticed no difference in IQ at all, not really compared focus speed, certainly havn't noticed any problem. Real world I don't think there is a difference, other than the extra reach which is great. I had the same dilemma and went for what I could afford and cracked on, saving for the 100-400 now, but it will be a while, have my eye on a hide now!
        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll start looking for a second hand 1.4x if possible and see how I get on.
          Maybe I should be looking to crop more anyway at 200 as one of you suggested :-)

Comment

I'd add that the mk II 1.4x isn't much worse than the mk III one and a lot cheaper, so worth looking at. (Especially on a very sharp lens like you have.)

Comment

Just to add my tuppence worth, I occasionally use a jessop (kenko MC7) 2x tele on my 70-200 F4, and the results for me are better than cropping. Still retain autofocus on the 1 series too, which is a bonus :) It retains the correct exif data, didnt cost the earth, and can be used on any ef lens. Works for me :)...
              http://www.rpic.co.uk/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich_webber_photography/
              http://www.facebook.com/richwebberphotography
              https://twitter.com/#!/rpic_rich

Comment

Interesting topic :-)

I’m on the verge of buying a 5Dmk2, and I’ve been thinking about the impact of putting my 70-200 on a full frame camera. I’m guessing for a while It will seem like 125mm @ at 200mm compared to what I see in the viewfinder of my 7D

The chequebook solution is to get a longer lens or TC.. You then have the problem of getting a higher shutter speed to hand hold a longer lens, With the canon 1.4 TC losing 1 stop of light and slightly less responsive AF, this can much more a problem indoors, definitely much less noticeable outside in plenty of light.

I would look at how I could get closer, next time, unless lack of reach is a problem you constantly face.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                X