New camera, so what filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After many years away from the SLR scene (digital cameras weren't around in those days!), I've decided to get back into things and so have invested in the equipment in my sig.

I assume that some form of neutral filter should be attached to my lenses just for protection, but what would people recommend?

Also, I'd like to buy a polarising filter to use with the 24-105 lens, so again, any recommendations?

I think that, initially, these will be sufficient until I get further into my camera and start looking at the more artistic side of things.

Back in the days when I first had an SLR, I can only remember Hoya and Cokin filters (and Jessops own make!), but I keep seeing things about Lee filters. Are these top quality filters? Obviously, having spent x thousand pounds on the equipment, I don't want to scrimp on a filter which might degrade any pictures I take.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    EOS 5D Mark III
    EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
    EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Speedlite 600EX-RT

Re: New camera, so what filters?

Welcome wooks.
    Asking about filters on the end of lenses is opening a whole can of worms!

Comment

I agree wrt a can of worms. Lets just say you will get a split vote on the rights/wrongs of having a filter fitted for lens protection.

Lee filters are expensive but...very good quality as well. Have a look at this thread HERE for a suggestion on polarising filters. Also HERE is one supplier there will be other suppliers but that link gives you a description to peruse.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Didn't think for one moment that a simple question like this might not necessarily give me a simple answer!

Looked at the first link but couldn't see anything about polarising filters? Just some really great photos.
        EOS 5D Mark III
        EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
        Speedlite 600EX-RT

Comment

Welcome to the forum wooks63.

Filters? I recommend the Hoya Pro1 77mm filters for your lenses.
          They add protection against knocks and dust.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Are Cokin P ND filters better than Lee filters or are they about the same?
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              In my experience, Cokin NDs can produce a slight colour cast. I've never seen colour casts from either Lee or Hitech. The Lees are more expensive than either Cokin Ps or the Hitechs (which are much closer in price). IMO the Hitechs represent better value for money - and they're made in the UK :)
              “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
              "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
              "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
              "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Yes, I don't think Cokins are anything like as good. Mind you, the current ND grads are at least better than the grey grads they used to sell instead, which produced a fairly pronounced cast. I've used Hitechs in Cokin P size (from SRB in Luton) for many years, only problem with them being that Cokin P isn't that good a size with L lenses.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Can I make a comment about polariser filters. The screw in type are fine as long as you do not want to also combine this with either a ND filter or a graduated ND filter. Nearly all ND filters will have I invisible stress points within the filter. However, these will become visible if viewed through a polariser filter (like the marks on a car screen when viewed using Polaroid glasses). To prevent this the ND filter MUST be placed between the lens and the polariser. To achieve this you will need to use something like a Lee filter holder, Lee filter ring adapter and a 105mm polariser.
                  In this arrangement the polariser is on the outside, then the ND filter, then the lens front and no stress fringes will appear in your images.
                  Hope this helps anybody considering to do this !
                  James
                  James Boardman Woodend
                  www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    Cokin "P" are not in the same league as Lee, hence the price.
                    Cokin "Z" are wider than the "P" versions and are generally better and slightly better than the Hitech. (IMHO)
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

OK, so everyone sems to have their own favourites!

What are the B&W filters like for quality compared to other makes?
                      EOS 5D Mark III
                      EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
                      Speedlite 600EX-RT

Comment

thanks for your comments re Cokin and Lee filters. I am a bit surprised at the negative comments re the Cokin filters, as they were very highly regarded by most photographers a good few years back. For my personal use, I find the Cokin P filters and filter holders fit my two lenses with a 77mm filter thread- the ones I intend using the filters with!

Nat
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by wooks63 View Post
                          What are the B&W filters like for quality compared to other makes?
                          I would say they're very highly regarded. Of course, they don't make "system" filters like Cokin/Lee/Hitech, so if you want, say, a ND filter and you have 3 lenses with different filter-thread sizes you need to buy 3 different filters.
                          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Working...
                          X