Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compatible 60D Batteries? Any Advice Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatible 60D Batteries? Any Advice Please.

Hi,

Its been a long time since I posted on the forum though have remained lurking however I find myself in need of advice.

I have a work colleague who has just purchased a 60D and who is fortunate to be going on safari in couple of months. Naturally I am as Jealous as a jealous thing. He is looking for spare batteries for the camera but has been stopped short of purchase having read reviews that some third party equivalent LP-E6 batteries either cannot be charged with the original charger or do not display charge status info on camera or cannot be registered with the camera. Has anybody who owns an EOS 60D bought replacment batteries that are 100% compatible and if so could you advise where they were purchased?

I have always bought my replacment batteries from 7dayshop and have always been pleased with both the supplier and the resulting purchase but it would seem now that batteries are coded (have an onboard chip) which communicates with the charger and camera when fitted. Is this true and if so does anybody know the reason why canon have chosen to go down this route?

I would be grateful of any advice.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ascot55; 16-05-2011, 18:41. Reason: Correct Spelling and Battery type
    EOS 400D, EOS 40D, EOS 7D
    EF 24-105L F4 IS, EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm MK11

Re: Compatible 60D Batteries? Any Advice Please.

My 7-dayshop LP-E6 batteries (for the 5DII) work and charge without a problem
    ef-r

Comment

I bought one from Amazon at £19.95 for Dees camera a couple of weeks back here and it works fine. Charges in the canon charger and is recognised by thec camera

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        I bought one from Amazon at £19.95 for Dees camera a couple of weeks back here and it works fine. Charges in the canon charger and is recognised by thec camera

Stan
        Thank you for taking the time to reply Stan (also to briansquibb). Just one question (not necessarily directed at you) I note that the link in the reply shows a battery with an mAh rating of 2100 as opposed to the 1800 mAh rating of the original battery. Does the mAh rating matter much or does this mean, in theory, it will last longer during use?

Regards

Steve
        Last edited by Ascot55; 17-05-2011, 12:09.
        EOS 400D, EOS 40D, EOS 7D
        EF 24-105L F4 IS, EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, EF 50mm MK11

Comment

Originally posted by Ascot55 View Post
          Thank you for taking the time to reply Stan (also to briansquibb). Just one question (not necessarily directed at you) I note that the link in the reply shows a battery with an mAh rating of 2100 as opposed to the 1800 mAh rating of the original battery. Does the mAh rating matter much or does this mean, in theory, it will last longer during use?

Regards

Steve
          As far as I understand it, the higher the number the longer it lasts!
          Regards Eddie.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just one question (not necessarily directed at you) I note that the link in the reply shows a battery with an mAh rating of 2100 as opposed to the 1800 mAh rating of the original battery. Does the mAh rating matter much or does this mean, in theory, it will last longer during use?
            I hadn't even noticed that !!

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Bought this one off eBay..
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Battery-Ca...item3f0a7b46b7
              But had to get a replacement as the first one didn't charge properly. All OK now though
              Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

I was just about to blow £240 on batteries and succumbed to the temptation of 7Dayshop compatibles

Got 4 for £42.00 I must admit I’ve always bought canon up till now.
                I felt a bit guilty buying compatibles; now I’m wondering why I never did it before.
                Despite the rumours and horror stories these 7dayshop batteries I have, charge and hold their charge as well as the canon.
                In the battery info section in the camera menu it displays as normal. I read stuff like you needed a different charger, and the was a chip that would prevent the batteries performing.
                The 7day shop seem to have been sourcing and selling cheap reliable compatibles for years now, you seldom hear many complaints
                Perhaps they will explode or refuse to charge or hold their charge at some point.
                I'll let you all know if that happens :-) after all I've only had these a week or so !

Trev

Comment

Working...
                X