IR beam on flash and drive mode on 40D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR beam on flash and drive mode on 40D

Took my 40D to my local shop to try and establish why my 580EXII flashgun would only fire its infra red focus beam when in full auto or portrait mode but not in AV or TV.

Since this is to try and capture owls in low light, it meant being limited to 400 iso and no control over aperture. Turns out the beam actually fires in AV and TV modes but only wiith the One Shot and Ai focus modes but not in Ai Servo.

This left me a bit puzzled but I took the staff's word for it.

Is this specific to the 40D and maybe its age versus newer cameras or I am missing a trick here?

Thanks in anticipation

Jerome

Re: IR beam on flash and drive mode on 40D

Since this is to try and capture owls in low light, it meant being limited to 400 iso and no control over aperture. Turns out the beam actually fires in AV and TV modes but only wiith the One Shot and Ai focus modes but not in Ai Servo.
    Jerome That’s true, it actually works in all modes, creative or auto unless you choose AI servo.

It will not work in the sports auto mode on the 40D as it initiates AI servo.

To check all this, mount your flash and fill the frame with a plain flat surface were AF wouldn’t work. You’ll see the AF assist beam of the 580 unless you’re in AI servo.
    That’s how I’ve just tested this for you.

Is this specific to the 40D and maybe its age versus newer cameras or I am missing a trick here?
    On the 7D it’s the same.

For advice on shooting owls at night someone else may help.

Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 01-02-2012, 09:23.

Comment

thanks Trevor.

I am surprised this is the same on the 7D. I had assumed it may be a generation thing with the 40D being too old.

Comment

I too found this out the hard way with my 7D. I was trying to get the in body to work as focus assist and it would only do so in green mode. I leave it in AI Servo nearly all the time and it took me ages to work it out.
        Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

I am surprised this is the same on the 7D. I had assumed it may be a generation thing with the 40D being too old.
          I think the AF assist on the flashgun would conflict with what I understand about how AI servo works.
          This would rule the AF assist from the flashgun or ste2 on any EOS camera in AI servo mode.

Trev

Comment

Working...
          X