Optimum number of pixels in 1.6 crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimum number of pixels in 1.6 crop

OK everyone, after a lot of discussion about MP esp. with the new 7D, what do people actually think the best number would be regarding noise, size to be printed to and just overall IQ? It has been said around 12MP??

A: 8MP
    B: 10MP
    C: 12Mp
    D: 15MP
    E: 18MP
    • If you have a small sensor size with bigger pixels and less of them - does this mean lower noise?
    • On the other hand small sensor, smaller pixels, but more of them - does this mean more noise, but better resolution? i.e. print to a bigger size - more room for cropping?
    • 8MP on a 1.6 crop seems to have very low noise - what about the higher pixel rating. What is noise like on that etc.
    • Also, can we compare pixels to the light sensitive crystals on film? It is true that medium format cameras were better for larger images - is this the same for sensor size in digital cameras? Should we be using medium format digital for image quality -weddings etc (maybe canon should be developing this?)
    • Then we have to ask - what is the best sensor size?? C, H or FF
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Optimum number of pixels in 1.6 crop

It's not so much the sensor size or MP rating that counts, it's the number of pixels cm2. My 5D Mk1 is 1.5 MPcm2, the 7D is 5.4 MPcm2. That means that each cm2 has x3.5 the pixels on the 7D than on the 5D. That means smaller, less efficient pixels. The new processor make a difference, but not that much.

Comment

I'm not sure that they are less efficient compared to the MkI. Technology advances all the time and efficiency improves in every advancement.

Is the MkI better than the MkII? mkII has 21Mp in the same area as the MkI. I know what one I'd take if the chhoice was betwen those two.

They pretty much all take good images at high ISO up to and beyond ISO1600. just shoot anmd be happy :)
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Yes, both low noise and high pixel count do advance, but i would much prefer the low noise to advance ahead of pixel count, not the othet way around!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

Originally posted by DenisV View Post
          Yes, both low noise and high pixel count do advance, but i would much prefer the low noise to advance ahead of pixel count, not the othet way around!
          It does. I do however think Canon could create a lower Mp camera with better ISO performance.... Would be interesting to see it comparing with say a 5D II.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

On 1.6 crop - 12 max for me.

Onn a 1.3 crop - 1D then 15 max

Martin

Comment

Does this mean that pixels above 12 are no good? I note that the 500d has 15.1 pixels and has been voted the second best DSLR for amateur photographers i.e entry level.

Comment

The 500D has pretty much the same sensor as the 50D so good at base ISO but over 400 it gets very noisey

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X