Failed 350D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed 350D

A friend has a 350D (with an original kit lens) and the camera suddenly stopped working on Friday. He's checked the battery is charged (and that he switched it on ). I'd no real idea so suggested he removes the main and small batteries and leaves for 24 hrs and then try again. It has done over 10,000 actuations so he’s had his money’s worth. Failing that I've told him to get a 600D with a new kit lens.

Question - anyone had a similar failure?

TIA

Re: Failed 350D

... does the small CR battery need replacing?
    I'd replace that small battery a attempt to update the firmware even if it is the same firmware.
    If that doesn't work then an upgrade is optional.
    The 350D is about 7 years old now but still a very capable camera.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Stephen - I suspect given its age it would under normal circumstances need a new CR battery (but that's an aside) ... but suspect it’s something more terminal than power.

As you can't even get the menu system active then can't update the firmware.

Yes he uses it as a rostrum camera to photograph his art (he paints) as well as general photography. He claims (and I believe) it’s never been subject to abuse.

Comment

As you can't even get the menu system active then can't update the firmware.
        Is that including using EOS Utility via the lead attached to the computer?
        The last firmware version was 1.03 available HERE
        Would be a shame to dump such a nice little camera.

flickr

Comment

He claims it will not talk via USB. He's spent the last 25 years in IT hardware & software so he'll have tried all the 'normal' things.

Mr Stephen: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Indeed it would be a shame to scrap the camera ...

Comment

This is a very interesting post MX5(i)I thought 10,000 actuations was low, given the fact that these cameras can do approx 100,000 actuations or am I wrong here.(ii) How did your friend think he had done about 10,000 actuations? Is he able to get this information and if so how? (iii) I always thought that the 350d was a tough cookie and would like to know why a DSLR should suddenly "pack up"? wthout any warning signals.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I wouldn't expect a 350D to be good for 100,000 ... but can't say I've checked ... just a gut feeling.

He knows from the number of pictures he taken. Like me he deletes nothing from the harddisk he stores them on. I think he said it rolled over after IMG_9999.CR2 a month ago.

Yes I agree that its 'odd' for it to 'just pack up' the day after it was used okay.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                Mr Stephen: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it! ...

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                  A friend has a 350D (with an original kit lens) and the camera suddenly stopped working on Friday. He's checked the battery is charged (and that he switched it on ). I'd no real idea so suggested he removes the main and small batteries and leaves for 24 hrs and then try again. It has done over 10,000 actuations so he’s had his money’s worth. Failing that I've told him to get a 600D with a new kit lens.

Question - anyone had a similar failure?

TIA
                  I know you say he said the battery is charged, how does he know this? If the cells go in the battery they can send a charged signal to the charger but never actually take a charge, I have this all the time with batteries at work. Try a different battery if you can, I had a 350d and they are bullet proof and would be suprised if it has just stopped.
                  Slugsy

Comment

Good point. He said the battery was showing 1/2 full when he last used it and then when he tried to switch it on nothing - one dead camera. He then charged the battery ... getting the normal light sequence (I assume the charging light flashes at different rates and then stays on when fully charged with the NB-2LH's charger?).

I'll suggest he spends £6.90 on a Powerstorm NB-2LH as a first check.

Thanks

Comment

I agree with Slugsy. The 350d was my very first introduction to the digital world and I thought the camera was "bullet" proof. Very well made, heavy and all that jazz!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. He's going to buy a Powerstorm 'clone' main battery and a Poundland 'clone' CR battery ... we'll see what transpires.

When I know the result ... I'll post back.

Comment

When I know the result ... I'll post back.
                          Fingers crossed!

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Okay a new (charged) main and CR battery (and a holiday) on ... and it is still as dead as a dodo.

I've pointed him at a G12 (as that may meet his requirements, he's not a lens changer) or a 600D plus new kit lens (if his budget can reach). A 650D is more than he wants to pay.

Comment

Update - he sold the 350D (described as 'dead' on a popular auction site) with a working Mark I 18-55 on eBay and got £65!! He's bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 ... I couldn't persuade him to stay with Canon.

Comment

Working...
                              X