Force specific file number on CF Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force specific file number on CF Card?

Is it possible to force the 5D to start writing pictures at a specific file number?

My original 5D was at _MG_2972.CR2 when I sold it last year (big mistake) and the used 5D I bought earlier this year started afresh from IMG_0001

I would prefer the file numbering to start from where my old one left off...ie next image 2973 for example.

This 5D is currently on IMG_0276

Is it as simple as renaming this 0276 file on the CF Card to the last file number of my original 5D or are there any gotcha's to doing this?

Not quite sure why the original file suffix _MG* and it's replacement is IMG_* even though both of them shoot RAW?

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Re: Force specific file number on CF Card?

The _MG bit is simple. _MG means you've set AdobeRGB colorspace (sic) whereas IMG_ means you are using sRGB.

Comment

Out of curiosity ... can you rename the last files on the CF card (change IMG_0276 to IMG_2972) and then take a picture? Does that give the correct next file number (IMG_2973) or will it actually continue from the original number (IMG_0276) ?
      Just a thought.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys...

MX5: ISTR seeing this somewhere but it got lost in the mists of time...ie. I forgot!

Hereford_EOS: I might just give it a try but thought I'd ask the question first to see if anybody else has trodden this path. I don't suppose it will hurt though.

Thanks & kind regards,
        -=Glyn=-

Comment

Working...
        X