Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I've got a 7D

Hope this is in the right place!
    Recently upgraded from a couple of 40D's, which I loved to a 7D. Very happy with it. I shoot Equine Competitions for profit. I take the pictures and print on site for sale. Doesn't make my fortune but helps pay for gear.
    My point is that last night I was in a very poorly lit venue. I was able to get good enough pics to make a few sales, generally these are emotional purchases! So if the Horse/Rider is recognisable it's usually good enough.
    There is no way I would have got anything from my 40D's.
    I shot this at F1.6 1/200th at ISO 4000. Very noisy, but sold on the night. For me this justifies the 7D. Hope this is of some help for those considering it.

Cheers, Trev
    Attached Files

Re: Why I've got a 7D

I own a 30D and I am seriuosly considering getting a 7D as my new primary camera and keep my 30D as back up. Lately I have been taking pictures for various events at my Church includings plays and would love to be able to take "better" pictures within some of the low light conditions.

Comment

Horses cant see flash
      ef-r

Comment

You may be right Brian, but the organisers won't allow it.

Cheers, Trev

Comment

Maybe the horses can't see flash(?), but the riders certainly can.
          Digital: EOS 40D | Canon 17-85mm IS | Tamron DiII 55-200mm | Sunpak EZ42X flash |
          Film: EOS 5 | EOS 50E | EOS 50 | Canon 28-80mm | Canon 50mm mkII | Sigma 100-300mm | Sigma 24mm |
          Canon EZ540 flash | Cobra 700AF flash |
          Other: Slik 88n tripod | Manfrotto 679B monopod |

Comment

Originally posted by Deepend View Post
            Maybe the horses can't see flash(?), but the riders certainly can.
            Take the picture as they ride away from you ..... humans would only be impacted from the front as that is where their eyes are, horses eyes are on the side ...
            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by trevorbray View Post
              You may be right Brian, but the organisers won't allow it.

Cheers, Trev
              For good reason! The flash is distracting for the rider as well as the horse. The flash can make the horse shy! This is not good for a rider, esp. in competition events. If you have worked with horses, then understanding the organisers reasons would make sense!

Take the picture as they ride away from you ..... humans would only be impacted from the front as that is where their eyes are, horses eyes are on the side ...

I would have thought the front of the horse and person would be better than a photo of their backside! ( But maybe I understood incorrectly )
              Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I would have shot at an even higher ISO and used Neat Image to clean the frame up - then it would be an even better shot.

Comment

Working...
                X