Very odd battery grip issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very odd battery grip issue

I've been having a lot of trouble recently with my 50D. Screeching shutter, error 20, won't turn off etc. Well I think I may have just figured out why.
    When I took the battery grip off to send the body away again, I tried it without the grip and it worked fine. Every time I put the grip on it starts screeching and failing again. I find this very odd and it was certainly not what I would have expected to be the cause.

At least the camera is working, but now I have to find a new grip >
    Last edited by dkane95; 29-03-2013, 00:39.

Re: Very odd battery grip issue

It's good news that camera is ok. I don't suppose it's worth getting the grip repaired is it? Considering the cost of a replacement.
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Is it a Canon branded genuine grip?
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I'm not planning on keeping the camera much more than another year and I have a 600d + grip so I'm just throwing it away. Surprisingly, it is a genuine Canon grip.

Comment

Well Err20 = "Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected." ... could it be attaching the battery grip distorts the body in some way? Otherwise I'm not sure how else 'mechanical' things would be affected with/without the Grip. Is it still under warranty?

Comment

I can't understand that either, and nothing is warped which makes it even more odd. Unfortunately non of my equipment is under warranty, though it has recently had a new shutter fitted and I noticed that A J johnson's aren't great at re-building cameras. I've had jammed DOF preview and flash buttons and now no red dots on the focusing screen. So it could be something they've done.

Comment

Working...
            X