CANON 40D /Landscapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANON 40D /Landscapes

Looking towards trying landscapes with some filters,was thinking about registering settings onto either C1 C2 C3 this to include mirror lock up.This is where it gets tricky for me if wanted to move straight from this set up to photograph other things what happens to mirror lock.Would it be ok that is would it right itself ready for other situations or has mirror lock to be reset by me
    Hope you guys can understand my issue,any help and or advice welcome
    GEORGE
    Last edited by mackem george; 24-01-2014, 21:03.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: CANON 40D /Landscapes

I understand what your saying unfortunealty I can't help but I'm sure someone else who knows more will be along soon. All I could suggest is to try it while at home and see what happens
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

The custom settings are for exactly this sort of thing; you won't need to reset it manually if you switch to another setting.
      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

NICK many thanks for your responce ,that seems it will save a lot of messing about.Only got a small selection filters to see if its all for me,as not really into this early morning lark.had read mirror lock was a real advantage in capturing scene.
        GEORGE
        CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

I always use Live View and a tripod for landscapes. Now if you are using the 40D and Live View you don't need mirror lock as Live View keeps the mirror up whilst in live view. Apparently this isn't the case with all EOS cameras but lucky for you it is with the 40D according to this guy.

If you do get into this and want to use filters I can highly recommend the LEE system. It's an expensive system but they really are the best. Initially I spent quite a bit on screw in round Hoya filters which were excellant but I eventually needed the flexibility offered by the LEE system, especially when it comes to using ND Grads. So a better long term solution and money saver for me would have been to skip the Hoya filters and go straight to the LEE system.
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Now thats handy to know being into bird photography not really used liveview.So very interesting and can open a new avenue.Have got a couple of cokin filters at present till see how things go,but many thanks for your kind assistance.
            GEORGE

Comment

Which filters are you thinking of trying?

The purpose of mirror lock is to reduce potential camera shake at slow shutter speeds (even on a tripod) but if you're faster than 1/60th it shouldn't be an issue at all. As said, live view is probably best anyway so you can make final adjustments using the rear screen.

Comment

Have cokin p121m also p121L alongside Hoya polariser thinking about cokin A121soft Realize Lee filters are the answer but want see if landscapes is for me,lens would be using is the Tamron 17-50 non stablized.
                GEORGE

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                  Now if you are using the 40D and Live View you don't need mirror lock as Live View keeps the mirror up whilst in live view. Apparently this isn't the case with all EOS cameras but lucky for you it is with the 40D according to this guy.
                  That is right when you turn on liveview on the 40D you can hear the mirror flick up. You can also set it to show the image with the exposure settings applied in live view before taking the shot, but I'm not sure if that is just a 40D thing or if other EOS cameras allow that

Flickr
                  Facebook

Comment

Thanks for that paul wondering do you use filters at all .Had a look on your facebook sight excellent stuff there.
                    thanks again.

Comment

Thanks George I only have a circular polariser which doesn't get much use as it's never sunny enough and I only dabble in landscapes with my main interest being wildlife

Flickr
                      Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X