Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D : Wireless Flash?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before (or if I should have searched a bit harder for the answer first!).

I'm thinking of buying a 7D body (probably keep my 40D as a backup), but I'd like to buy an external flash as well. I don't use flash often so I'm thinking that the 430EXII would be perfect, rather than the much more expensive 580EX. Only thing I would possibly like in future is the ability to use the flash 'off camera'. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 7D has an inbuilt wireless trigger (so the 430EXII could be a 'slave' from the camera). Is that right or is my (now ageing!) memory playing tricks again?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
    Last edited by 63Strat; 10-03-2010, 12:31.

Re: 7D : Wireless Flash?

Mike,
    You set the camera up so that the pop up flash can trigger an external flash.

It works, but there needs to be some sort of line of sight from camera to flash. I have used it with a 430EX.

Comment

This may help.

http://cdn.sellpoint.net/canon/EOS_7D-15_Flash.html
      Ray

Comment

Well done Doglet. That explains it well.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Colin beat me to it - but well done Doglet

jhdee
          jhdee

Comment

Thanks for your help with that. Much appreciated.

Mike

Comment

The 7D can control the older 580EX and 380EX flash guns wirelessly, and have the ability to vary the power output between the speedlights (if using more than one).

With the 580EXII and 380EXII you have the additional ability to wirelessly control the settings and functions of the individual speedlights from the camera's menu screen.

This was an important consideration for me, I have a 580EX and 380EX that I regularly use for portraits, I didn't really want to upgrade to the MKII versions, so being able to vary the power between the speedlights via the camera means it functions similar to STE-2 (although I find a more flexible trigger range using a 7D)
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
              X