Used 1D Mark 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used 1D Mark 4

I've been looking at some used 1D4 for sale here.

It says the shutter has been replaced by Canon.

Any thoughts as to whether this represents decent value? I'm toying between a used 1D4 and a new 5D3, which are about the same price. As I'm having fun getting into wildlife photography I'm leaning towards the 1D4.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: Used 1D Mark 4

if you can find one from a private seller you might get a better deal with more history .at that sort of age its condition condition condition ,the ones on there look like heavy use ex pro togs cameras to me .

Comment

It says shutter count is 110 ... I guess that would be thousand !!! ?.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Like I said the shutter has been replaced hence the low count. Does that make it perform like a new camera? I mean the sensor doesn't wear out does it?

Comment

You can put a new engine in a car ,but it doesn't stop the brakes and tyres wearing out ,caveat emptor

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            You can put a new engine in a car ,but it doesn't stop the brakes and tyres wearing out ,caveat emptor
            True but we're not talking about a car. I know DSLRs have a limited lifespan in terms of shutter count but is it then normal to replace the shutter and then get another several 100k uses out of it?

Comment

what i was trying to point out is the parts will have suffered from wear and tear to ,the shutter life on a 1dmk4 is somewhere in the region of 300,000 ,so theres got to be a reason for its replacement ,.you seem determined to get this one ,but i'm just suggesting widen your search area before committing yourself

Comment

No I'm not determined at all, just trying to understand the lifespan of DSLRs so I can make a decision. I wasn't meaning to be funny - I just thought the comparison to a car wasn't really giving me the info I was looking for.

I've done more research now and can see that shutter replacement is reasonably common especially on high end cameras where there is a good enough second hand value to justify it. But like you say, getting some more history behind it would be no bad thing. On the face of it it just looks like a gamble that may or may not pay off, which is always the case I suppose with second hand gear.

I'll probably stick to the 5D3 route.

Comment

Thing is that there are very few moving parts other than the shutter to suffer wear and tear - the mirror is about it. Looks a fair buy to me, given it's from a reputable dealer with a warranty.
                  Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

^^^^^^
                    WHS
                    Regards ,
                    Norman

Comment

It wouldn't put me off.

The average life of a shutter in a 1D MKIV is 300,000 actuations. Some will be a lot less and some last a lot more. The fact that it has been recently replaced indicates that you could look forward to potentially another 300,000 actuations.
                      Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. That kinda makes the decision harder.

In favour of the 1D:
                        - Faster frame rate
                        - F8 AF
                        - More reach / better image detail / pixel density than cropped 5D3
                        - Build quality

In favour of the 5D
                        - Brand new
                        - Better AF system
                        - Better high ISO performance
                        - Practical stuff like same batteries / charger as my existing kit and most likely similar button / function layout so might be easier adding 5D3 rather than 1D4 when working with 2 bodies.

Comment

As long as there is proof that it was a certified Canon replacement then I would say it's a good deal. A lot of mk4's were and are used by sports photographers (me included, it's all I use mine for) and a lot of them do stupid 'machine gun' shooting because they either don't have the skill or can't be bothered to get the shot with one or two frames so it's quite normal for 'them' to replace the shutter box etc each season.

And to be fair - everything I have heard about MBP has been good so don't be worried about being ripped off.

.DAVID.
                          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Oh and I have both bodies

1d:
                            1.3 crop helps with wildlife / racing
                            waaaaaay better battery life, can shoot 2.5k a day easily on a single battery
                            better ergonomics (bigger and better balanced)
                            more FPS if you really feel the need to machine gun
                            better weather sealing

5d:
                            more pixels / sharper detail / better crops
                            smaller batteries to carry in your pocket
                            faster af (although I couldn't really tell the difference)
                            smaller and lighter

hand on heart I wouldn't really miss either one over the other, BUT the 5dmk3 would be the better choice if your also interested in macro / flowers / landscapes.

.DAVID.

5D racing

1D racing

5D gardens

1D garden

See what I mean - not a lot in it in the 'real world'
                            Last edited by David Stallard; 16-03-2014, 18:42.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for the info David and also for sharing those awesome pictures. You've confirmed what almost every thread on this subject seems to conclude i.e. there's not much in it between these two bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X