Back Button Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Button Focus

I know this has been discussed a couple of times, but I came across this on the Canon Digital Learning Centre and thought it may provide a more in-depth explanation.

Colin
    Last edited by colin C; 26-05-2010, 15:17.
    Colin

Re: Back Button Focus

It did indeed Colin, now I know why I have been tripping over my finger and thumb all the time. Thanks.

Martin

Comment

See what I mean about finger and thumb? Sorry about that.

Martin

Comment

He, he. If you view your last couple of posts, you can click "Edit Post" and "Delete" if you wish.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

THANK YOU (very loudly) now I understand those other threads, and it all makes sense.

Comment

Right, custom function changed, I'll give it a go.

Don't be surprised in a couple of weeks if there's a post from me saying 'I can't get my camera to autofocus any more, what's wrong with it?!"
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
              Right, custom function changed, I'll give it a go.

Don't be surprised in a couple of weeks if there's a post from me saying 'I can't get my camera to autofocus any more, what's wrong with it?!"
              Woolley, back button is so good although it may seem strange at first, just stick with it and get used to it. One thing to remember though is to change it if you are using a cable release.

David
              David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                One thing to remember though is to change it if you are using a cable release.

David
                Or, when using a cable release, press the back button to focus, then press the cable release. No need to change your C- FN's back and forth.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  Or, when using a cable release, press the back button to focus, then press the cable release. No need to change your C- FN's back and forth.

Colin
                  oh yea... duh.....and I thought I was being smart in remembering that the cable release would not autofocus when using the back button...so much to learn and so few brain cells remaining after all the years of red wine.
                  David

Comment

Thanks again. My week for learning.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                      Woolley, back button is so good although it may seem strange at first, just stick with it and get used to it. One thing to remember though is to change it if you are using a cable release.

David
                      Don't have a cable release. Well, I do, but unfortunately modern cameras don't have the screw thread in the shutter button (why not?) so I can't use it.

Used the camera for the first time yesterday since switching over and predictably found myself wondering why it didn't focus... Got a stage show to do tomorrow but I get a rehearsal today to practice at so with luck it'll be making sense by the proper run.
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Don't have a cable release
                        OK OK fair enough........ shutter release cable then, any way if you activate the shutter by not pressing the shutter release button and don't press the back button (as Colin said), the auto focus will not work.

Good luck with the stage show

David
                        David

Comment

I gave it a try ............. total mayhem .................. can't really see the benefit of it???? Fingers and thumbs confused ..........out of comfort zone.

Should I persist? Colin Help????
                          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Mark,
                            Stay with it. Wander around your garden trying it on anything you see. Just give it a fair go
                            David
                            David

Comment

It took me three attempts to be comfortable with it Mark.

The first couple I stuck with it for a couple of weeks and gave up. I think it was John H that advised me it could take up to three months before it became completely automatic. I managed slightly better than that and the frustration and occasional missed shot was worth all of the effort.

It now feels very strange to use a camera that is not set for back button focus.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X