choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choices

as most of you know i now have as my main lens the sigma 150-600 sport ,i also have two camera bodies the 1D3 and the 70D ,while the latter is the newer camera i find i just can't seem to like the images it produces ,even to the point of thinking there might be something wrong with it ,this week (before i go on holiday and ruin a lot of pics) i have given it another M/A adjustment session it helped a bit but the 1D3 is still better i have also this week to put my mind at rest tested a 7Dmk1 and a 7Dmk2 with the lens ,to be totally honest the old 1D3 knocks them all into a cocked hat.
    now the question is do i move on to a 1D4 or go the whole hog and go full frame which would probably be a 6D or 5d2 i think the 5d3 is still out of my price range unfortunately .as the larger sensors seem to be producing the files i want

Re: choices

I've seen the shots Stan produces with the Mk II and they seem pretty stunning to me ....

Surly going FF is a step backward for you bird guys as you will loose the 1.6 crop and make your 150-600 a much shorter lens
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post

Surly going FF is a step backward for you bird guys as you will loose the 1.6 crop and make your 150-600 a much shorter lens
      He makes a good point. Why lose that extra reach when that's what your genre demands Jeff. However, I love the 7D2 its a great camera and suits everything all round in my view.

Only a few weeks after buying the 7D2 the price of the 5D3 has come down with the promotions on offer at the time. It was only a couple of hundred quid more, it made me hmmm for a bit.
      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

ita fine having the extra reach as long as the i/q is CONSISTENTLY good ,just had a chat with my lad who seems to think that the 7D2 is the way to go as well .however i still think the 1D4 is possibly the way hmmmmm ,heres one i took with a borrowed 7D2 this week at extra long range .decisions !!!
        two versions one via the computer another via flickr
        7d2 tester by jeff cohen, on Flickr
        Attached Files
        Last edited by the black fox; 31-05-2015, 11:56.

Comment

yeah but you've seen what Stan gets - its a learning curve but a sound one - MkII all the way
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

yes ian ,but like all of us you only see what stan or myself POSTS not the fails ?????

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              yes ian ,but like all of us you only see what stan or myself POSTS not the fails ?????
              Spot on Jeff, but isn't that the case with all set ups and pictures taken?
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                Spot on Jeff, but isn't that the case with all set ups and pictures taken?
                yes i suppose it is alan .but i really work on a percentage of keepers to fails ,obviously choosing the best pose,eye contact etc what really irks me is if i have the perfect pose and eye contact and then the sharpness /noise /graininess let me down on a rough basis it at the moment runs along these lines and remembering that the 7D2 has virtually the same sensor as the 70D
                1D3 keepers approx 85%
                70D keepers approx 35%
                the nearer the subject with the 70D the better the photo/detail is also light affects it more where the 1D3 will perform well in poor light the 70D shots fall apart in poor light
                what i don't wish to become is a fair weather photographer especially with the way the weather has been up here so far this year ,just really thinking out loud to make a record of my thought train for later reference ,as like most people i get distracted by things new and glittering

Comment

FWIW,
                  I had a IDIV and sold it for a 7D2. Whatever the argument on IQ, I find it easier to get focus on, eg, Birds in flight, with the 7 due to the focus points. I have the 5D3 so knew what to expect on the focus side, and 1.6 v 1.3 helps a bit.
                  ( other factors were weight saving, same batteries and 1 small charger).
                  Not had much chance to use either of late due to injury.

Comment

Ta that helps a bit

Comment

I have had the mkiv for a couple of years Jeff and the AF and picture quality is excellent to me for birds in flight (when I can get out and about) paired to 300 2.8 ii plus extender normally. It is also great for general family shots if there is an occasion and someone wants something to frame.
                      I hanker after a 5diii and am tempted by a mkii and even a 1dS mkiii for people / out and about shots but the mkiv is excellent in thus department as well 24-105 or 70-200.
                      There is a lot of choice out here but as you have a mkiii you may like the mkiv
                      Cheers Dave

Comment

IIRC there was an issue with the focus on 70D models. Yours isn't on of those by any chance?
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                          IIRC there was an issue with the focus on 70D models. Yours isn't on of those by any chance?
                          I will have to look into that cheers Sid

Comment

Are you in danger of expecting too much from the 70d Jeff? The 1D iii is an oldmodel but at one point a top of the line pro camere, which is never something that would be said about the 70D. The 7d2 on the other hand has as close to pro capabilities as you'll get in an aps-c camera.

Just saying. ..
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Since El sids post earlier I have been looking into this and it seems the problems I have been experiencing are all to common with the 70d it was like lots of people were trying to explain the same symptoms as me .it also seems that canon are in denial of this matter .so many thanks Sid it's to late to do anything now but when I return from holiday it's off to the bay of E with it .
                              weirdly enough its fine with the 70-200 f4 .as others are saying its just certain lenses really i need feedback from any 7d2 and sigma 150-600 sport owners /users
                              Last edited by the black fox; 02-06-2015, 22:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X