7D and the integrated speedlite transmitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D and the integrated speedlite transmitter

Have recently bought a 7D (upgrade from 400D) and so far absolutely love it!

Had a quick play with the integrated speedlite transmitter and my 430EX last weekend but couldn't figure out how to fire just the speedlite on its own. It seems the built in flash has to fire in order to trigger the speedlite. Is this right? I'm guessing/hoping not as I'd like to experiment with some back lit shots.

Would appreciate any advice?

Thanks,
    Dan
    “Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.” John Ruskin

Re: 7D and the integrated speedlite transmitter

Hi Dan, I had a play with that a few weeks ago, I'm far from an expert with the 7D flash trigger however
    I can confirm that it deffo works with the pop flash down :-)

I was uisng 580ex and ex ii s - I think you need to set your 480 ex to slave.
    If all else fails read the manual, I haven't got round to that myself

Millie

Comment

Hi,
      You may find these of interest.

Ray
      Ray

Comment

Thanks Millie and Doglet but now I'm real confused and thinking there may be a problem with my camera

I've read the manual and it states that the pop up flash must be up in order to operate wireless flash to quote page 120 "For wireless flash, be sure to pop-up the built-in flash"

So I've done this and set the Flash Control / Built-in flash func. setting / Wireless func. to speedlite only symbol and have set my speedlite to slave. I'm using the default channel and Slave group (1 / A)

I don't think there is anything else I need to do but still the pop-up flash fires!

In fact, if I try and disable flash through the menus or keep pop-up flash down or cover the pop-up flash, then no flash is fired. The manual states the slave unit is triggered by the built-in flash's light pulse signal - I just wasn't expecting this to affect exposure!

I'm using firmware 1.2.1. I know 1.2.2 is out but I don't believe this affects flash.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
        Dan
        “Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.” John Ruskin

Comment

The pop up flash fires but at a greatly reduced rate. It needs to to activate the slave flash.If you also look at these presentations you will find the explanation.
          Ray

Comment

Doglet, you are like an ultra intelligent google search engine

I'll give that a look in now but a little disappointed as in my test shots this light affects what I want my end result to be :-( Was hoping not to have to invest in the ST-E2 or similar.

Thanks,
            Dan

Comment

You should be OK with the built in system. Forget which section the info was input it does give you a very good explanation of how it works.

Ray
              Ray

Comment

Hi Doglet,

It was a lot of listening and I must say, every 7D owner should watch and listen to those videos as it's much better than reading the manual!!!

But unfortunately I still think there's a problem here, or at least with my camera! At around 19:23 in to part 2, the presenter does indeed indicate that you can trigger remote non-speedlite slaves by setting the built-in flash to manual mode and knocking the power down to 1/128.

But he goes on to state (at about 20 mins in):

"During the actual exposure the built in flash doesn't fire. You'll see it emit white light, but those are pre-flash communication pulses to the so called slave units, during the actual picture there would be no frontal light from the camera."

I'm still getting some frontal light with the Wireless func. set to just speedlite, and whilst I confess it is a small amount of light, it's enough to create some unwanted reflections when shooting glass subjects. I'm testing this by shooting a glass bottle in manual mode in the dark with the camera set to use wireless flash but the slave actually turned off.

Hope I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill here (and if you think I am please let me know ... I'm by no means a pro so take all criticism well) but it would be good to know if any other 7D owners have had similar troubles with this before deciding what to do about it.

Thanks again Doglet :)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X