Flash/studio not always firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash/studio not always firing

5D MkII, When using speedlite on camera or studio lights (via cable) they do not always fire, a picture is taken but no flash, it happens intermittently, it can happen after 3 exposures or 53. If I swap cable to another studio flash it sometimes works again straight away. Switching camera off and on does not rectify. Changed CF cards with speeds up to x 100, still the problem. Thanks for any info. Bob.

Re: Flash/studio not always firing

Hi Bob, it's hard to say with any certainty
    On the camera hotshoe, one classic cause is using high or full power and not giving the flash time to recycle.
    Using a PC sync cord to a studio light, with additional lights on slave mode ?
    First step I would take is testing it with a new cable.
    Trev

Comment

I have found that flashlights turn off after a time of inactivity - just making sure they are powered back on again cures that problem which had simillar symptoms as you are getting

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

This happens with new cable and when continuously using studio flashes and they are re-cycling.

Comment

I assumed you were shooting continuosly

You report 2 different problems,

1 Hotshoe flashgun misfires.

2 PC sync cord to studio head misfires

Have you read the troubleshooting section in your manual ?
          It may be worth checking you're not exceeding the limitations of your equipment. They do have limitations more often than not, and manufacturer recommendations may have to be taken into consideration.
          I don't know how much experience you have because this is your first post, so apologies if I’m stating the obvious.
          Trev

Comment

Bob, maybe it's best if you add the makes and models of the flashguns & studio heads you are using, the settings used , the frequency of shots within a certain timespan ?

Trev

Comment

Normal flash photography using 430EXII.

In studio Using Elinchrom x3 on synch cord.

All works fine on my 50D, so I assume it is not the Flashes.
              Bob

Comment

It can happen after 3 shots with either the Stobes. or with the speedlite. Or can happen after 100 shots.
                Take up to 650 shots in 4 hours, do not think this is the problem because it can happen after 2 mins.
                Cf cards ok as it still takes an image albiet black.

Comment

I think the CF card is a non issue.
                  On problem 1
                  I know I can all too easily replicate the problem by the 2nd or 3rd shot firing my 580ex2 or anyone elses.

if the lights worked ok with the same power settings etc on the 50D then you should be able to rule out flash/head problems.
                  the 5d max sync speed is the only differnce I know about, and going from 1/200 1/250 wouldn't cause a misfire,just a dark band.

Testing the cable, checking your settings, and consulting the manual, that might just leave just two constants, you and the camera ?
                  Trev

Comment

Thanks Trev, think I'll give it one more go with the speedlite and send it back to Canon if I can't find a solution.

Bob..

Comment

Bob, it's a shame you can't borrow another 5dmk2 to try, before you have to send you camera away.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                      X