Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

focus

This is doing my swede.........

I went to a butterfly farm/zoo today, and came back a little disappointed.

I've got an EOS 50D and am having trouble focusing, well more a case of I'm having trouble getting things sharp. It doesn't seem to matter which lens I use, I've tried on my Tamron macro lens, and on an ef24-105L, also an ef 100-400 and an ef-s 55-250. I've also tried doing the micro adjustment, whilst it makes a difference between both extremes ie +20 and -20 the difference between +15 and -15 seems the same. Basically on full magnification it seems to me that I can't get an ultra sharp image!!!!!

When I've converted the pics I'll upload some. Whats the maximum size image file so you are all able to see what I'm talking about?

HEEELLLLPPPP

Re: focus

I think it would be a good start to ask the Shutter speed, Aperture and Distance, plus focusing method (one or more points, single or continuous, etc.) of some of the shots.

Small objects ultra-sharp isn't easy though!

Comment

I would also ask are you using a tripod ?
      99% of macro shots I use a tripod and mirror lock ,

Comment

Some things we do know: the Tamron 90mm macro, 24 - 105 L, 100 - 400mm L and the 55 - 250mm EFS are all sharp lenses and it's inconcievable that you just happen to have the only four duffers ever made. That leaves us with a problem with your camera body, or your technique.

Can you get a sharp shot with the body on a firm tripod, mirror locked up and remote release? If not then you need to micro adjust and see if that works. What method are you currently using to micro adjust? I can certainly notice a difference between 3 to 5 points and 15 would be massive. If you can't get a result with micro adjust, then it's change your method, or back to Canon for them to mechanically adjust. If you can get a result with micro adjust, then it's down to your technique.

Assuming you haven't already done so, zero in the dioptre adjustment for your eyesight. Switch auto focus off on your lens for non tripod macro work and focus manually. Fine focus by rocking forwards and backwards slightly until you have nailed the focus, then take the shot. If you are using a tripod, life is a little easier by using the manual focus forward and back until you have nailed it.

Auto focus is generally too crude a method to get the fine focus needed for macro and the higher the magnification, the more you need to manual focus.

Hope that helps.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Today I went to a wildlife reserve local to me in the hope of getting some bird pics. One of my main problems today was that they were too far away to fill the frame!!! so I decided to do some micro adjustments on the lenses I had with me. I focused on a single reed about 20 feet away and slightly down from my position. I mounted the camera on a tripod with mirror lockup and remote release.
          I started each test at -10 then -5 then 0 then +5 then +10. I could distinguish differences between -10 and +10, and even between 0 and +5. Trying to distinguish between 0 and -5 was really difficult even when zoomed in to maximum on the screen. I set the lenses to the one I felt was best. However when I took a picture of a mallard, admittedly at a distance then zoomed in, the image seemed really soft around the ducks head. This was at f8 1/60th iso200 at 250mm in fact the whole series of images seem soft. I've just compared pics from my 55-250 lens to the 24-105L lens and there are huge colour differences to, the same pic taken within 3 mins of each other. Photos from the 24-105 do seem sharper than the ones from the 55-250 but then thats to be expected as they are in a different league.
          Tomorrow I'm going to another reserve where the birds are more camera friendly!!!!! hopefully I'll have better success.!!!!

Comment

One of things you get with L glass is massively better contrast - I always wondered where those colours came from until I had my first!

Were you still on the tripod for the bird pictures? 1/60th is a bit slow for 250mm if you haven't got it locked pretty solid, plus birds are twitchy creatures and will introduce their own movement. Better to riska bit of noise by going for ISO 800, widen the aperture to f5.6 and try to get your shutter speed up to at least 1/300th.

Others may know for certain, but I wouldn't have thought the back screen would have sufficient resolution for micro adjusting a lens. You'd really need to do that on full res on a monitor at 100% using a measurement chart to photograph. Personally I'd set them back to default and work on other avenues first. Micro adjustment really does mean micro.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by oldmandon View Post
              Today I went to a wildlife reserve local to me in the hope of getting some bird pics. One of my main problems today was that they were too far away to fill the frame!!! so I decided to do some micro adjustments on the lenses I had with me. I focused on a single reed about 20 feet away and slightly down from my position. I mounted the camera on a tripod with mirror lockup and remote release.
              I started each test at -10 then -5 then 0 then +5 then +10. I could distinguish differences between -10 and +10, and even between 0 and +5. Trying to distinguish between 0 and -5 was really difficult even when zoomed in to maximum on the screen. I set the lenses to the one I felt was best. However when I took a picture of a mallard, admittedly at a distance then zoomed in, the image seemed really soft around the ducks head. This was at f8 1/60th iso200 at 250mm in fact the whole series of images seem soft. I've just compared pics from my 55-250 lens to the 24-105L lens and there are huge colour differences to, the same pic taken within 3 mins of each other. Photos from the 24-105 do seem sharper than the ones from the 55-250 but then thats to be expected as they are in a different league.
              Tomorrow I'm going to another reserve where the birds are more camera friendly!!!!! hopefully I'll have better success.!!!!
              If this is on the 5d do not be frightened of iso 1600 and iso3200
              ef-r

Comment

250mm and 1/60 is very slow for something that's probably moving. It's also around the limit for the stabiliser to cope with you moving if you aren't on a tripod.

I'm with Woolley in that the screen on the camera isn't good enough for micro-focus adjustment.

For focus try: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html
                (I keep meaning to but haven't - do let me know if anyone tries it.)

Or this:
                LensAlign MkII accurately measures and then adjusts the Auto Focusing accuracy of a DSLR camera.

(Ditto.)

John

Comment

This is a small selection of photo's from todays shoot. I pre-focused my 100-300 f5.6 lens on the food, the camera was tripod mounted with a cable release attached. As the birds landed, I pressed the button...Simples!!!!!!!
                  There's NO pp on these except to crop out most of the surrounding photo. the birds were landing on the post which was 20 ft away at most.

I still think the pics are soft, and I manually focused the lens. I have adjusted the diopter to suit my eyesight.

Comments please
                  Attached Files

Comment

What are the shot settings?
                    ef-r

Comment

I assume they are JPEGs, not from Raw? Plus what's the in-camera the sharpness, Canon's default for JPEGs is a bit soft (I always turn it up a notch). It doesn't look like that is your problem though.
                      Are they 1:1 camera->screen pixels and was it high ISO?
                      I'd say try focus bracketing. Take 10 shots at tiny increments either side of single-point auto-focus.
                      BTW are they through windows, and if so how many layers of glass?
                      Plus what Brian asked.
                      John

Comment

Something isn't focussing at all. Even if the shutter speed was too slow for the birds, the food and log should be in focus.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

I had something similar to this and found that it was the lens trying to stabilise itself on the trip but actually causing camera shake as I had forgotten to turn off the stabilisation mode. I don't know if this is the same problem as you may have.

Comment

Ok, First they weren't shot through glass, there was a clear uninterrupted view straight from the camera. Second, the photos were raw, but when I try and download raw images, it fails, so all I did was save as, then download. ISO is 200 aperture is f5.6 (which is the maximum the lens will allow) at 300mm (also maximum) shutter speed is 1/15th for the finch, 1/8th for the jay. All taken securely mounted on a tripod (manfrotto 190b pro) using a cable release so as avoiding contact with the camera. Conditions completely flat. No breeze, and I was inside a hide shooting out of the entrance. There is no IS on the lens. As Colin C said, shutter speed may/is slow for the birds, what about the rest of the pic though??!!!!! I'm convinced there is something amiss with my camera body. I've done the latest firmware update. Stumped now!!!!

I'll check the pics from other lenses and see if I can find something better, but I doubt it, oh the first pic was using the 55-250 IS lens, IS on, AV f5.6, TV 1/15sec, Focal length 250 ISO 400 but otherwise tripod, cable release etc.

Any suggestions other than throw it at the wall and claim on the insurance!!!!!!
                            Last edited by oldmandon; 24-02-2011, 17:49. Reason: additional text

Comment

I'll stick with my focus bracketing suggestion for now...

Comment

Working...
                              X