Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming back to the fold...

I think...

Sold off all my CANON Kit about two years ago and had a bit of a journey, thru Nikon Sony Pentax and now I'm back again or at least I think I will be?
    my system changes have always been instigated by money or the lack therof but now I am starting off in about three different personal businesses (Due to illness and the fact that no one wanted to employ an Arthritic cripple with a degree in computer science!) and one of them is Landscape photography, now I know it's been done to death but I'm hovering over the 5DMkII Because I've owned it before and the 7D, So in real terms printing to say A2 how much worse is the 7D over the MkII? Waiting for 5D MkIII AND 7D MkII are not options i need something very shortly, within the next week or two.
    I know the MkII Is better in outright image quality terms? By much? Another few hundred to spend on Lenses wouldn't go amiss! I'm going to have eventually about £3500-£4000 to pony up when I've sold off all the Pentax kit. One body I reckon, so do I go for the Landscape Master or the all rounder for when I occasionally want to point it a other stuff, occasional critters I'm lucky enough to see and the very occasional Airshow?
    Mostly Landscapes though...
    Don't shout too loud at me...

Cheers Jules.
    Last edited by Jules; 07-06-2011, 19:33. Reason: Speeling and Grammer
    www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

Re: Coming back to the fold...

Simples ... get a 5D2 (and that's from someone with a 7D). BUT your main problem may be locating a 5D2 (Wilkinson in Carlisle being your starting place naturally).

Comment

Is it so far ahead? I only ask as my previous 5DMkII was the only Digital Canon I've ever owned and as such I have nothing to compare it to...

Comment

A few friends has them (5D2's) and I have a 7D. The 7D is fine if you take action shots (or in my case could only justify £1300). But when you see the CR2's (raw files) you know what a big difference the FF sensor makes. Especially for landscapes.

If I had my time again ... still SWMBO is going to buy me one ... but with jobs on the line that'll have to wait now.

Comment

Hi Jules, welcome to the forum. Allthough I can't provide you with a straight answer, I'm sure some a the many friendly experts here will give you some pointers. All the best with your business startup and choice of a material. Looking forward to see a sneak preview of your work

Best regards, Rutger
          Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
          EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Hi Jules,

I have to agree with MX5 - 5Dii is the way to go for landscape photography - that extra bit you get from a full frame set up is worth the extra dosh, if you're into Landscape stuff.

TTFN,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

5D mk II would be the way I'd go. (I do have one so feel qualified to comment.)
              Good luck,
              John

Comment

Cheers Guys, I'm trying to get one at the moment but I think because of Japans troubles they are a bit scarce at the mo...

Comment

In the end I succumbed to a 7D was offered a deal I just couldn't resist, Yes I know it's not as good as the MkII For Landscape but I just fell in love with the thing! Plus it'll be better for pointing at planes and birds etc, thanks for all the help but it finally came down to having a play with them both, in the old hands on, the 7D just felt alive! I wish I could have both...

Comment

Just take your time learning all the clever things it will do ... I (typical for me) jumped straight in and wondered why it didn't perform. A hard reset and a read of the manual and things improved lots.

Now you need some L glass ?

Comment

Jules,

Not having a 5 or FF I cannot comment on the comparison, though I will say I love my 7 and I'm sure you will too.

Graydon
                      Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                      EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
                        Jules,

Not having a 5 or FF I cannot comment on the comparison, though I will say I love my 7 and I'm sure you will too.

Graydon
                        Sure hope so, it arrives today, fun begins, also all the questions posted here no doubt!

Comment

My friend has a 7 and we compare pictures - on A3 prints there is little difference in the IQ - our conclusion is that they are both excellent cameras.

I would have said that the 5DII was better at portraits if anything - the colour seems better - but this was not a scientific test.
                          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                            My friend has a 7 and we compare pictures - on A3 prints there is little difference in the IQ - our conclusion is that they are both excellent cameras.

I would have said that the 5DII was better at portraits if anything - the colour seems better - but this was not a scientific test.
                            I'd agree with all that Brian, I think it's what the MKII was made for, both Camera's are lovely in their own right, and as I've said before I wish I had the Cash to own both!

Comment

Still waiting to get Lenses, I hate Banks and their cock ups! Very nearly drilled a hole in the body cap today to do some pinhole stuff, I'm that desperate!

Comment

Working...
                              X