getting my first dslr camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting my first dslr camera

I have been saving up and am now in a position to purchase my first dslr camera i have opted to get the 550D with a EF-S 18-55mm Zoom Lens i will use it for photographing landscapes and airshows what other kit will i have to buy ?
    Canon EOS 550D
    EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
    EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Re: getting my first dslr camera

Over a period of time you will build up your kit to suit your needs. Looking at what you are buying the camera for "Landscapes and Airshows". The first thing item you will need is a longer lens. There are a lot to choose from, so funds are going to be the main factor here. The 18-55 will deal with landscapes for the time being, but if you find that it is too limiting you may want to look for a wide angle lens. Again there is a lot to choose from. You are not limited to Canon lenses either, there is a good selection of third party lenses. You will find answers on this forum, go to Lenses two below this part of the forum. Good hunting and good luck.
    del

Comment

The new 'Mark II' 55-250 EF-S should be hitting the shops shortly (or may have already) take a look at that. Wait for the first price drop before jumping in.

I'd also buy a decent strap, e.g. Op/Tech and the like, to replace the standard issue cheesecutter. You'll appreciate that when carrying the camera all day.

A decent bag as well.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Craig.

All sound advice so far, so all I can add is a polarizing filter and a tripod to help with landscapes.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

thankyou for you replies
          Canon EOS 550D

Comment

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new camera

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
              The new 'Mark II' 55-250 EF-S should be hitting the shops shortly (or may have already) take a look at that. Wait for the first price drop before jumping in.

I'd also buy a decent strap, e.g. Op/Tech and the like, to replace the standard issue cheesecutter. You'll appreciate that when carrying the camera all day.

A decent bag as well.
              Amazon have the Mk11 in for £254.42

Malcolm.
              760D
              EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
              Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
              EF 70-300 IS USM
              Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
              YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

I think that's all great advice, the next longest lens to look at is the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS, which is just over £400, so if you're budget limited the 55-250 is a good idea (it's a pretty good lens). If you can reach to £400 I'd do some comparisons. The only other thing I'd recommend is a book, but I'll have to go look up the details.
                Whatever you do - enjoy!
                John

Comment

Some more memory cards and a card reader. Happen an external hard drive for backups (or even a subscription to an online backup store). You also might want to show people your images so a Flickr or PhotoBucket type of account is useful. These are free in basic form ... but Flickr is (IIRC) £15/pa (free if you are a BT Internet customer) for the Pro version which is much more versatile.

The software that comes with your Canon DSLR is good enough for starters ... but there are free (RAW aware, for when you are ready to do RAW) such as (for Windows):

Picasa (from Google)
                  Faststone IV

Once hooked you might be tempted to purchase Photoshop Elements (I guess version 10 will be out shortly).

Comment

Welcome to the forum Graig!
                    I started with an almost similar (500D) a few months a go and bought the 55-250 to go with my kit lens. That was a very sound choice for me.
                    Before you buy any more lenses I would suggest you take the time to get to know your camera, your skills and enjoy your new hobby. :)
                    All suggestions sound right though (as with most suggestions on this great forum), just don't forget to enjoy and explore :)
                    Cheers! Rutger
                    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
                    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

It will take a while to save up for another lens my local camera store has it for £199

so in the meantime i will be getting used to it
                      Last edited by craigmason71; 03-08-2011, 12:17.
                      Canon EOS 550D

Comment

Working...
                      X