Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror Lock Up

Do you use mirror lock up? If so when?

I have read in a couple of places that it's recommended for Telephoto and Macro work between 1/60 and 1/2 sec.

I tend not to use it for Telephoto work but then I try to stay away from anything 1/30 or below. For lenses 200mm and shorter I don't worry about it.
    Dave

Re: Mirror Lock Up

I'm not sure about this, but if I set bracketing and use auto timer my 5D and 50D seems to lock the mirror, take the three shots, then close the mirror. I think that due to the sound it makes.

I also lock the mirror for same macro. It's supposed to avoid the shakes.

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
      It's supposed to avoid the shakes.
      It avoids Delirium Tremens? Oh Good!
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        It avoids Delirium Tremens? Oh Good!
        My camera likes cocktails, especially a 'Canon Ball'

1. Gin - 16 oz.
        2. Rum - 16 oz.
        3. Beer - 12 oz.
        4. Orange Juice - 32 oz.
        5. Pineapple Juice - 32 oz.
        6. Lemon Lime Soda - 20 oz

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          Do you use mirror lock up? If so when?
          Usually for night shots, when using a tripod.
          C & C welcome on any of my images :)

Comment

yes I agree...mirror lock up on tripod with remote trigger for low light situations as it helps to decrease noise!

Comment

Originally posted by White Butterfly View Post
              yes I agree...mirror lock up on tripod with remote trigger for low light situations as it helps to decrease noise!
              Mirror lock up stops vibration through mirror slap, I dont see how it can have effect on noise

Comment

Well with a tripod and a remote trigger plus your mirror locked-up you can effectively use a lower ISO ( SO LESS NOISE :): ) in low light conditions without having to worry about camera shake. So end result should be good crisp clean images....
                sorry if I did not make myself clear...
                Pippa

Comment

... on a tripod, with remote release, after I have remembered to activate the relevant custom function from the depths of my 30D menu...

Am I right in thinking that Canon are making this (MLU) feature a bit more accessible to "toggle" on/off in more recent models (7D?) - as the conventional method isa bit inconvenient for such a useful feature - good opportunity to use the much redundant Direct Print button (?), coupled with in-viewfinder icon warning so you don't look a burk at the rugby match wondering why your viewfinders suddenly gone "black", and then you recall you forgot to re-set it after your last shoot of landscapes, or slow/non-moving objects! Been there and done that!

Mind you the human brain is a wonderful substitute to technology when you suffered the head scratching / heart failure moment when you think you've broken your camera's shutter!!! - once was enough for me! - I've now learnt (I hope) to re-set it at the end of the shoot. But the technology is less fallible - it's a no brainer IMHO.

Does anybody else share my view - odd why this hasn't been thought of long before.

Another welcome development is the "level" feature to be seen in the new 7D - I shall be interested to see how this works in the real world, when shooting landsacpes, coupled with the "grid overlay" feature.

If the high ISO noise issues are disinherited from the 50D, the 7D may well be on my shopping list come the spring - Other Half, and economic outlook allowing, and before you ask I do have them in the right order of importance!

Julian

Comment

On the 50D there are two custom modes C1 and C2, you can save settings to these - I set C1 for landscape including mirror lock up (with ISO100, AV,sharpening, contrast, colour temp, RAW, exposure bracketing etc) else I'd get home and find I'd forgotten something I should have set up.
                    You just set the camera to all the settings you want and then Save settings from the menu and select C1 or C2.

As for noise - no problem at ISO400 or lower, and manageable up to ISO1600 with DPP software. Amateur Photographer had a comparison recently of 7D - at high ISO noise was 30% less than 50D
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                    X