My first L Lens..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first L Lens..?

I am thinking of 24-100 L to replace my 17-85 IS USM, I will only be able to afford used, any thoughts please.?
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Re: My first L Lens..?

The Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS lens is a superb lens. However you will lose 7mm off the wide end which is quite a big difference.
    Do you use the wide end (17-24mm) ? If yes then stick with what you already have as the 17-85mm is a good lens and only slightly improved by the 15-85mm lens.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I have a 24-105mm and I find it excellent for general use. On my 5DMk2 I find it quite wide enough for landscapes - I can't understand this interest in getting as wide as possible that some people have. On your 60D (I looked in your profile) you might find it a bit tight if you want to do landscapes.

Comment

For a walk-around lens on a APS body I'd probably start with the 15-85 or 17-55 f2.8, the latter is L grade optically but not weather-sealed.

However the 24-105 is a fine choice if either you don't mind not having a wide-angle option on the lens (the 24-105 is not very wide on APS even at the 24mm end) or you might go full-frame sometime soon.

Comment

The 24-105mm L IS len is a very very good lens either on my 7D or 5D MkII .
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Changed my mind now, I will stick with what I have for a while, thanks for the advice........
            © JH Foto
            The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
              Changed my mind now, I will stick with what I have for a while........
              As you usually do
              Bob Turner
              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Too right...............
                © JH Foto

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
                  Changed my mind now, I will stick with what I have for a while, thanks for the advice........
                  I think that is a wise decision.
                  Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                  Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Bodger, it is always wise to do a U turn in photographic matters, unlike in politics.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Ta..........................
                      © JH Foto

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        Bodger, it is always wise to do a U turn in photographic matters, unlike in politics.
                        No way, make a firm decision on what you want and go for it.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          No way, make a firm decision on what you want and go for it.

Colin
                          Thats what I do, before my wife finds out lol

John

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                            Thats what I do, before my wife finds out lol

John
                            I bought a 24-105 from Kerso and never regretted it...OK, it has its limitations, but is a fantastic all-rounder

I should add - I had it delivered to a different address!

Comment

I went from the 17-85 to 24-105L, and what you loose on the wide end you gain more on the long. It's a lovely lens, and I'm sure you'd notice the difference in quality

Comment

Working...
                              X