Dropped lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped lens

Last night I managed to send my 60D and Ef-s 15-85 for a short flight from the tabletop onto the floor.

The lens now has a kink in it where the focus ring resides, with the right-side of the focus ring binding against the zoom-ring and the left-side has a wide gap. If I compress the lens on the left-side everything realigns but then springs back out once compression is released. The IQ has suffered considerably with the left-side severely distorted and poorly focused and the corners completely blackened.

I guess I've managed to make myself a tilt/shift lens!

My question is, is it worth my whilst taking the bayonet mount off too see whether I can "clip" anything back into place, or should I bite the bullet and send it off for repair? If the latter, any suggestions on where (and more importantly, where not to send it!)
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: Dropped lens

Oops.......................
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

First port of call ... Canon Elstree.

Depending upon cost it may be worth letting your insurance company know.

Comment

Very sorry to hear the bad news. As a firm believer in the saying "penny wise and found foolish" I'd send the lens to Canon for repair etc. The 15-85mm lens is a very good lens, and an expensive one at that. Hope the 60d is OK? As a general rule I always sling the camera around my neck to change lenses, removing the battery, memory card etc and this has saved me serious damage to my equipment many times. It is also the first advice given in the EOS forum camera camera insurance guide.
        Last edited by Nathaniel; 19-10-2012, 09:38.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another vote for Canon at Elstree. It may pay you to give them a call and if possible drive it round to their office with the camera so that they can look at both items to confirm the camera is indeed OK.

Canon U.K. Ltd, CCI service centre, Unit 130, Centennial Park, Centennial Avenue, Elstree, Borehamwood, Herts WD6 3SE.
          Tel. 0844 369 0100
          ccl.servicecentre@cuk.canon.co.uk

Comment

Dropped lens

Oops indeed!

Because I'm a tinkerer I've taken the bayonet mount, AF/IS switch and cowl off, and have discovered the screw securing the PCB inside had come adrift and was jamming-up the mechanism. I've reaffixed it and put it all back together, the IQ's much improved and the lens is much less kinked now, but I fear a trip to Canon is on the cards for it!
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
              Oops indeed!

Because I'm a tinkerer I've taken the bayonet mount, AF/IS switch and cowl off, and have discovered the screw securing the PCB inside had come adrift and was jamming-up the mechanism. I've reaffixed it and put it all back together, the IQ's much improved and the lens is much less kinked now, but I fear a trip to Canon is on the cards for it!
              I am sorry for the Oops comment, damage to our gear must be a real bitch. At least we now have Canons details I have filed it, you never know. I hope you get sorted soon........
              My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
              © JH Foto
              The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Dropped lens

Bodger, No need to apologise! I said Oops too (or words to that effect ;-)

Nat, I appreciate your comment about the strap, I tend to use my camera strapless almost all of the time and in this instance it was in my rucksack but I hadn't zipped up the hatch! I shall be a lot more careful in future, and will be using my strap a lot more too.

Thanks all for Elstree's contact details, their repair prices don't seem too extortionate so ill get the lens sent off next week.

Comment

Sorry to steal your thunder here... i dropped my cheapo 50mm 1.8 on monday and looked fairly damaged... i managed to put it "together" again but it makes real worrying noise when auto-focussing. would the image quality have been impaired and what would cause that. i dont seem to be getting the same high IQ as before
                  regards
                  Donald

Comment

I am sorry to note that you too,Donald,has a "dropped lens" problem. Maybe what I say might not be of any use to you but here goes. whenever I change my lens I put the camera around my neck with it's strap of course and change lenses over my bed- if I am at home. If in a hotel, over my hotel bed. If I am in my car, I change my lens from within my car boot- which is course well flanelled with an old blanket. Additionally, I use two camera bodies with appropriate lenses to minimise the changing of lenses for more than one reason- such as convenience,prevention of dirt and grit getting into the sensor etc etc. In whatever situation I might be in, the camera does hang around my neck, even inside the boot of my car. Maybe I am over cautious but I always believe that prevention is better than the cure.

Hope this helps.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by chodeva View Post
                      Sorry to steal your thunder here... i dropped my cheapo 50mm 1.8 on monday and looked fairly damaged... i managed to put it "together" again but it makes real worrying noise when auto-focussing. would the image quality have been impaired and what would cause that. i dont seem to be getting the same high IQ as before
                      If yuo have put the lens back together there could easily be miss-alignment of one or more of the optics or the USM motor function.

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                        Bodger, No need to apologise! I said Oops too (or words to that effect ;-)
                        Originally posted by S_J_PI
                        tilt/shift lens!
                        I'm imagining something like that, only without the l or the f...!

If it's not easily sorted with the first thing you do probably not worth taking a risk on trying to sort it yourself. Who knows what long term problems you could be storing up.
                        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Many years ago I dropped a lens and damaged the filter making it impossible to remove it. I told my household insurance and they paid the full cost of a replacement lens with no problem. It was a long time ago so I'm afraid I can't remember which company it was.

Comment

It is I am sure all our worst fears, sorry to hear about the fall/drop, accident. Do you have insurance? I took out the insurance we get with the magazine, £5k worth of gear insured for about £100 a year, which is quite reasonable I thought. May be worth checking with your home and contents. Like you I'd be tempted to have a tinker, I would however be cautious not to cause more damage, and void any sort cover I may have.
                            Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

It could have been worse...

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/915450-...-at-german-zoo

I'd love to see the insurance claim on that one
                              A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Comment

Working...
                              X