Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lens next month...

Hi guys,

I was looking to purchase the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM at the beginning of next month...but I also have a hankering for the Canon 20mm f2.8...

I know there's a lot of bad crits out there for the latter glass, but there's also a lot of folk who have produced nice images with it...

I'm using a 30D just now, and can't see me upgrading to a full frame, or even x1.3 crop any time soon.

Can someone push me in the right direction...??

I predominantly take landscape / outdoor images, so don't really need a fast lens. I also realise that the 20mm focal length is covered by the Sigma, but....

Dougie.
    ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
    http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Re: New lens next month...

The Sigma 10-20 is a fine lens ... well built and superb IQ. It needs to be handled with care - otherwise geometry can go bonkers (although some might like that ). Whilst I have one ... my regular outdoor lens is the ubiquitous Canon 17-40L.

Comment

Canon-vs-Sigma-vs-Tamron-vs-Tokina
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm selling my Sigma 10-20 as I was never enamoured by it. The f/3.5 incarnation is by all accounts better, and commensurately more expensive!

I've never had any experience of the 20mm prime, but I wonder whether it'd be a compromise, neither wide nor standard, neither fast nor slow, neither tack-sharp nor soft.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I just looked up the price of the Canon 10-22 (which I think is a great lens) and I'm going to have to go and sit down for a while... over £600!

It would help to know what lenses you already have? Also an idea of budget (in the meantime I'm assuming sub-£400-ish)?

Some thoughts to be going on with...
          The Canon 18-55 IS is actually not at all bad, if you don't want to go wider than 18mm (note the IS, the non-IS one is not the same).
          The Canon 15-85 is cheaper than the 10-22 and goes quite wide, although with some distortion, also goes quite long, which can also be handy. It does bust the £400 tag though.
          The non-IS (or non-VC in Tamron-speak) Tamron 17-50 is a good lens and goes fairly wide for reasonably money but perhaps isn't ideal for landscapes.
          The Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is a bit more money than the Sigma but goes very wide, is fast and seems well thought of but again perhaps has too many colour fringing issues for the use you want. Also over the £400 point again.

As the Canon 20mm really isn't one of their greatest efforts I'd be inclined to say the Sigma looks a good choice...

Comment

The Sigma 10-20 is a super lens. I have one and very happy with it.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I used to have a 20mm and it was a fine lens. I wanted more flexibility however and sold it in favour of the canon ef 17-40mm which is brilliant. I have to say though that I am using a full frame and without a full frame camera I can see the benefit of considering the 10.20mm

Comment

Of course it also matters how wide you want to go!

I've just produced an Excel representation of lens FOV (using rectilinear projection), and I'm amazed by the differences at the shorter end of the spectrum...

FOV.jpg

The image real-estate at 10mm is four times that of 20mm, which is a huge difference.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks guys...

I previously owned a 17-40L, parted with it this year in fact, and I may well just go down the route of getting another...tried and trusted I suppose, plus it does give options for use if I did eventually upgrade to full frame...

Good write up Stephen, certainly "food for thought"

Decisions, decisons...
                  ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
                  http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

Working...
                  X