Lens Tripod collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Tripod collar

I've bought a used EF300mm and only one slight issue, the thread to screw the monopod into the collar is loose and drops inside the collar, I can fish it out and line it up but it's tricky trying to screw the monopod in when the thread is loose...does that make sense?

Anybody know of a magic fix for this (probably) common issue? I thought superglue but don't think it would hold.
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Lens Tripod collar

Normally the tripod/monopod pod heads come with two different size screws (1/4 and 3/8 inch), have you tried the other screw?
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Sorry Stephen, I didn't explain very well. On the collar of the lens there's a threaded receiver to screw the monopod or tripod into, it's the right size thread. The problem is the receiving thread on the collar has worked loose and doesn't stay in situ so the actual receiver is loose and rattles around when you move the lens....does that make sense? The problem is on the 300 mk1 the collar is non removable
      Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bexman View Post
        Sorry Stephen, I didn't explain very well. On the collar of the lens there's a threaded receiver to screw the monopod or tripod into, it's the right size thread. The problem is the receiving thread on the collar has worked loose and doesn't stay in situ so the actual receiver is loose and rattles around when you move the lens....does that make sense? The problem is on the 300 mk1 the collar is non removable
        I see what you mean ... sorry unable to advise on this one
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Is it possible to hold the receiver piece into the main collar body with something such as Silicon sealant or even a dap of super glue

Comment

Loctite.

Get it from and engineering supplier. Used for locking threads together in critical arrears, such as engine building. There are two versions, go for the permanent option.
            Colin

Comment

Hi Mike,

As a builder of large model aircraft I use a lot of superglue - Cyano, but I wouldn't use it on something like that. Superglue is great on organic stuff like wood but it isn't as strong on metals. I certainly wouldn't trust it to hold your screw thread in place. If you do need to glue the thread in place then I would use Loctite Hysol - very, very strong. The downside - it's expensive. If the screw thread is in good condition then as Colin says use the more commonly used Loctite Threadbond (I think that's the trade name). However, if the thread isn't good this method may not work. Personally, I would go the expensive route and be sure.

TTFN,
              Neil
              Neilly's Flickr Page
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
              Facebook
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll go for the loctite hysol, seems about a tenner a tube! Cue fingers well and truly stuck together!
                Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mike,

Hysol is a two part epoxy type glue. It's fairly slow curing, but it's bloody strong - gotta be, the aviation industry use it a lot.

Happy gluing,
                  Neil
                  Neilly's Flickr Page
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                  Facebook
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    Loctite.

Get it from and engineering supplier. Used for locking threads together in critical arrears, such as engine building. There are two versions, go for the permanent option.
                    ...or from Halfords

...and there are actually rather more than two versions
                    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Working...
                    X