Upgrade path for 550D with kit lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade path for 550D with kit lenses

I wasn't quite sure where to start this thread...so please feel free to move it if this is in the wrong place.

I currently own a 550D with the kit 18-55 and 55-250 lenses, plus the 50mm 1.8. I'm getting more and more into my photography and i'm bumping into some limitations with my current kit. I'm struggling in low light conditions with lots of noise and focussing issues. The 50mm in particular on autofocus makes a right racket as it hunts for focus!

I photographed a family wedding and bought a speedlite 430ii flash which worked well but was a bit obtrusive.

After a bit of research I'm looking to upgrade my camera body to a full frame 6D or maybe a 5Dmkii if I can get one cheap 2nd hand. As for lenses, I'm looking at a 24-70L and 70-200L to essentially replace the kit lenses.

This will probably take a couple of years as I can't afford to buy all this at once. So my question is - is this viable? If so, what order do I buy everything in? Do I get the lenses first or the camera body?

I'd appreciate any advice at all!
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: Upgrade path for 550D with kit lenses

I would think that you should get the lenses first as you can use them with the 550d whereas if you bought the body then your efs lenses wouldn't fit the full frame camera
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Lenses first and if going down the Canon EF "L" lens route (great lenses) they will work extremely well on the 550D.
      The Canon L lenses hold their price well whilst cameras and consumer lenses do not.
      I would start with a 70-200mm (IS version) either the f/2.8L IS or the more affordable f/4L IS.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Sound advice. But hang onto the 50mm.

Comment

If the 50mm is a Mark 1 version keep it. If it is the plastic Mark 2 then ditch it. The Mark 1 does make more noise than the Mark 2 because it has a different focus system, but it's a good lens, far superior to the Mark 2. The Mark 2 will fall apart if you blow on it too hard. The Mark 1 can only be bought second hand, but generally goes for nearly twice the Mark 2 price. That should tell you something!

Comment

Depends on budget, for the 550D get the Canon 17-55 f2.8 then the 70-200 f4 L IS then the 1.4x extender III :-)
            A "B" plan would be the Sigma 35/1.4 Canon fit instead of the 50. (Plus the USB dock as has just had a software update.)
            If you upgrade the body I'd suggest the 6D with the 24-105 (can be got in a kit for a good price) then the 70-200 f4 IS and the extender III 1.4x.
            Then get an 85/1.2 II :-)

Comment

General consensus on here always seems to be lenses first. These will give you the biggest improvement in image quality. And if the ultimate aim is to go full frame you'll want to have ditched the EF-S lenses beforehand, unless you get paid in big one-off bonuses and can do it all in one go.
              Agree with hanging onto the 50mm whatever. It takes up no space in your bag, and is worth more to you even if you only get it out occasionally than what you'll sell it for.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

The 5D2 will be going for a song in a couple of years I imagine
                If you're on a strict budget then the EF 70-200L non IS is a stunningly sharp lens and a good bit cheaper than the IS model

Mike
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I'm never quite convinced by the argument that if you "might" go FF one day you should only get EF lenses, there are some very good EF-S lenses and used lens prices are generally pretty good (unlike camera bodies) so if an upgrade isn't imminent why not get the best lens rather than struggle with something not quite right? Of course if you have a definite plan for FF then EF lenses might be the way to go.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice - plenty to chew over. I had assumed the best route was to get the lenses first and use them on the 550d until I can afford to upgrade the body. That being the case, what I don't want to do is spend a lot of money on a lens or two then spend more money on upgrading them. I'd rather wait a bit longer to buy a more expensive lens to keep for the long-term, if that makes sense.

My 50mm is the mkii. Despite my issues with it it is my favourite lens for image quality, depth of field and making the camera look less intimidating to subjects. I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future!

So the consensus seems to be some form of 70-200L whether that's non IS, or f4 or f2.8 depending on what I can afford.

Thanks!
                    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Working...
                    X