Faulty 100mm macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty 100mm macro

I am looking for some advice, my partner has a Canon 100mm Macro 2.8. It is just over a year old and the last time she used it it came up with Err 01, indicating no comms between camera and lens.
    The instruction was to clean the terminal contacts, this I have done with an electrical contact cleaner and lens cloth, however the fault appears immediately.
    It only happens with the macro lens, all other lens are ok, this fault also appears on her other Canon camera so it would appear that the fault lies with the lens and not the Firmware.
    If anyone has had a similar situation I would be very grateful to hear any thoughts. My partner has contacted Canon UK by email and at the moment she is still awaiting a response. I would like to know more about the possible fault before going to a camera shop.

Regards

Bryan

Re: Faulty 100mm macro

I cant help you with the problem Bryan.Sorry.

Welcome to the forum ....
    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Sorry can't help you with your problem. Sure someone will be along with a suggestion to try shortly.

Welcome to the forum.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Hey Bryan,

Grab yourself a good pencil with an eraser on the end and give the contacts a rub with the eraser (needs to be a new one - no graphite on it) worth holding the lens upside down when you do it to stop any of the rubber going into the lens itself, although a quick blow with a rocket blower or such like will clear it out.

let us know how you get on

.DAVID.
        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
          Hey Bryan,

Grab yourself a good pencil with an eraser on the end and give the contacts a rub with the eraser (needs to be a new one - no graphite on it) worth holding the lens upside down when you do it to stop any of the rubber going into the lens itself, although a quick blow with a rocket blower or such like will clear it out.

let us know how you get on

.DAVID.
          Hi David,

Thanks for the info, I did as you suggested but alas the same result. I use similar connectors at work and normally if its just a dirty contact then a blast with contact cleaner normally cures the problem.
          To be honest the contacts look fine and the lens is'nt very old, just over a year. I am hoping Canon can be of help, in the past they have been accomodating so fingers crossed. Hope its nothing too sinister as its my partners favourite lens!

Regards

Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Sad to say, but it's most likely an electrical problem inside the lens (usually on a ribbon cable for the aperture or similar). although it's rare that this happens to a prime lens (it's usually associated with zooms, and is caused by the repeated stress a zoom places on a ribbon cable).

The 'Clean the contacts' error message simply means there isn't an electrical connection between the camera and some part of the lens it's trying to reach - it doesn't necessarily mean the fault is at the camera/lens interface (Canon put the message to clean the contacts 'cos that's about all you can try that might help!).

First try has to be the seller. Phrases like "should last a reasonable amount of time" might help - the average person expects a decent lens to last for years, not just over one year!

If not - you could try getting it repaired, but that's likely to cost whatever minimum fee the repairer charges, plus the cost of the broken part (Ł35-40 if it's the aperture), plus whatever markup they charge on parts (often 100%).... it's a fair amount on a Ł350 lens.

Of course, you could use it as an opportunity.... the L version of this lens is lovely..... and has IS....
            If you end up going this route, sell the old lens on ebay as 'for parts or not working'. There's plenty of folks out there that want broken lenses.

Good luck!

Steve
            Last edited by slangford; 03-12-2013, 17:33.

Comment

Do remember that as of sometime around 2008 an EU ruling decreed that electrical goods should come with a minimum of a 2 year manufacturers warranty, so I'm sure that so long as there hasn't been any physical damage canon will honour their commitments and offer a warranty repair
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Ah... someone had to bite!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slangford View Post
                  I counter that with a quote from 199/44/EC...

"(17) Whereas it is appropriate to limit in time the period during which the seller is liable for any lack of conformity which exists at the time of delivery of the goods; whereas Member States may also provide for a limitation on the period during which consumers can exercise their rights, provided such a period does not expire within two years from the time of delivery; whereas where, under national legislation, the time when a limitation period starts is not the time of delivery of the goods, the total duration of the limitation period provided for by national law may not be shorter than two years from the time of delivery;"

That statement does imply a minimum of two years guarantee, this is explained further in Article 5....

"Article 5

Time limits

1. The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery."

Article 3 lays down consumers rights for faulty goods....

"Article 3

Rights of the consumer

1. The seller shall be liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists at the time the goods were delivered.

2. In the case of a lack of conformity, the consumer shall be entitled to have the goods brought into conformity free of charge by repair or replacement, in accordance with paragraph 3, or to have an appropriate reduction made in the price or the contract rescinded with regard to those goods, in accordance with paragraphs 5 and 6.

3. In the first place, the consumer may require the seller to repair the goods or he may require the seller to replace them, in either case free of charge, unless this is impossible or disproportionate.

A remedy shall be deemed to be disproportionate if it imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison with the alternative remedy, are unreasonable, taking into account:

- the value the goods would have if there were no lack of conformity,

- the significance of the lack of conformity, and

- whether the alternative remedy could be completed without significant inconvenience to the consumer.

Any repair or replacement shall be completed within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience to the consumer, taking account of the nature of the goods and the purpose for which the consumer required the goods."

I have to say that my interpretation of that is that whilst in the UK we do have a six-year period in which we can claim for faulty goods, the minimum term which any EU retailer may offer is two years.
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I am sure that Canon (Elstree) would probably fix the macro lens free of charge as it is only just over a year old.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Roughly 3 years ago the aperture motor on my Sigma 10-20 stopped working about 15 months after I had bought it with the standard 1 year guarantee. I contacted Sigma, and they very nicely agreed to repair it free of charge. It's worth contacting Canon to see if they'll do the same.

John
                      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Send it to Canon for repair. They will likely fix it under warranty.
                        Canon EOS-1V | Canon 5D2 | 17-40/4L | 24-105/4L | 14/2.8L | 24/1.4L | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | 85/1.2L | 200-400/4L | 580EX

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
                        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Sorry - other thing to mention - take the lens back to the retailer you bought it from - your contract is with them, not Canon. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Steve,

Pretty much confirmed what I had thought anyway, dont fancy laying out for a new lens until I have exhausted all the options with Canon. We cant take it back to the retailer as it was from Jacobs Digital, and I believe like Jessups they have gone out of business.
                            I received a reply from Canon which just told me to take the lens to an authorised repair centre. Before I do this I will call Canon direct as I believe this is an equipment fault and not due to misuse, I expect a lens to last a lot longer than 15 months before developing faults.

Thanks for your reply and I will let you know how I get on

Regards

Bryan

Comment

Hope you get this sorted out free of charge.
                              15 months isn't really old and you certainly would expect it to last much longer than that.

BTW, Jessops are back on the scene again

Mike
                              www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X