24-105 L - Creep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-105 L - Creep

Advice please. I've had the lens for about a year now, and the barrel has begun to extend itself when I'm carrying the camera on my Black Rapid strap (i.e. the camera is hanging down).

Is there any sort of adjustment that can be done, or do I have to send it off to be tightened.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: 24-105 L - Creep

I was actually thinking about this as my next lens purchase, but the creeping on my 17-85 used to annoy the hell out of me. I'm surprised it happens to this lens too. Maybe a wee service is in order for it.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

I don't carry my camera in the "black rapid" fashion and so I can't comment re the "zoom creep"; but I know having read a member's post some time ago,that this is rather common with zoom lenses. The black rapid fashion is more suited to prime lenses and what I was told by another member who does, just this.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My 24-105 is 7 years old and my most-used lens and I've never had the faintest sign of creep. That said, I don't use a Black Rapid type strap, as the concept terrifies me.

I can't see how you could adjust it yourself, though.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          I was actually thinking about this as my next lens purchase, but the creeping on my 17-85 used to annoy the hell out of me. I'm surprised it happens to this lens too. Maybe a wee service is in order for it.
          Forget the "creep". This is my best and most trusted lens ; treat it well and it will reward you for your "love & care"! with stunning images.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I use the Black Rapid RS7 and haven't had an issue with the 24-105 lens.

Cheers,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Mine has ben back to Canon a couple of times to have the diaphragm assembly replaced. Each time they have given it a clean and service and the zoom has been much tighter on its return. I don’t have a Black Rapid strap but it’s often hanging from my shoulder. I’ve not noticed any creep with it. I’ve had the lens since they first came out. I’m surprised Canon haven’t brought out a Mark 2 yet.

Comment

I've heard horrible stories from the Black Rapid camp of the metal clips pressing the lens unlock button and the lens just falling off the camera. I just use the standard Canon strap, but most of the time my camera is in my hand. It's likely the constant bouncing motion of a person walking has weakened the natural resistance of the materials on the zoom mechanism. The glass is heavy and with no locking function in most zooms then I guess this is possible.

I still want the 24-105 anyway. Inside the zooms of Canon lenses there's little plastic white runners with screws in them that run along the insides of slots in the housing. These provide friction and are greased accordingly. Over time or constant zooming tends to wear these white plastic things down causing the creep, because the lens glass is heavier than the friction needed to hold it.

This is what A.J Johnstone in Glasgow told me.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
                  I use the Black Rapid RS7 and haven't had an issue with the 24-105 lens.

Cheers,
                  Neil
                  I am with Neil on this.
                  Raj
                  Flickr

Comment

I've heard horrible stories from the Black Rapid camp of the metal clips pressing the lens unlock button and the lens just falling off the camera. I just use the standard Canon strap, but most of the time my camera is in my hand. It's likely the constant bouncing motion of a person walking has weakened the natural resistance of the materials on the zoom mechanism. The glass is heavy and with no locking function in most zooms then I guess this is possible.

I really don't know how this is possible. I have used the RS7 with the 7D,1Div and the 1DX with an assortment of lenses from the 17-40mm to the 300mm f2.8 (with and without extenders) and haven't had the slightest problem. I have just tried to undo the lens and found it to be impossible. There's absolutely no way the metal clip can even get close to the button, so I don't know where these stories come from.

Neil
                    Neilly's Flickr Page
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                    Facebook
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I read a thread on POTN where someones lens fell off the camera. It then started a whole spate of folk saying it happened to them and the Black Rapid were told about it. Maybe on Nikons? I skimmed over the thread to be fair cause I don't use them.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Had the Black Rapid for about 2 years and my 24-105 the same time and yes the lens has extended from day one when using the BR but it is not a problem at all for me. I just know it happens and my first reaction when I go to take a shot is to adjust the zoom to what I want it to be anyway so therefore no problem.

As to how the BR could "release" the lens.... just cannot understand how on earth this could happen... sounds like someone did not have the lens properly fitted in the first place and to try to save face in front of othet togs has decided to blame the BR.
                        Last edited by djguk47; 20-01-2014, 12:11. Reason: speeling
                        David

Comment

I don't use Black Rapid straps, but the lens on my 24-105 does creep if it's pointing down.
                          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I've just checked mine and if I point it down the lens will creep from the 24mm setting but...my 17-40 doesn't so I suspect they are different design. My 70-200 stays at 70mm when pointed down. I have just tried both the 70-200 and 17-40 and those two lenses unlike the 24-105 can't be "pulled" down from the wide end. So that sort of confirms my thoughts on those being of a different design.
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Of the zoom lenses I have the 24-105 is the only one which does creep but as with David I know it does it so simply adjust the zoom to reframe the image as I want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X