Micro-adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro-adjustment

I have used the 1.4x converter recently and on closer examination of the shots, they didn't appear to be as sharp as I thought they should. On thinking it through further, I realised that I hadn't micro-adjusted my big lenses for the MKIV. Oh hell, this is going to be a morning's work, setting up the target, shooting a series of shots from -20 to +20 in increments of 5. Uploading them to the computer and viewing to see which was the nearest and then adjusting the camera for that lens and shooting another series of shots at the new setting at -6, -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, +6, just to double check all is well. Then uploading and viewing on the computer again and if necessary make a small change to the micro-adjustment.

But not now. With the enhanced rear screen on the MKIV, I can take a shot, zoom it 10x, make an adjustment, take another shot, fine tweek the adjustment, last shot to confirm all is well and its done. The 500mm, 500mm +1.4x and 500mm + 2x all done in around 15mins.

Good result .......... Colin's a happy bunny!

Colin
    Colin

Re: Micro-adjustment

My 40D misses that feature. Another reason to look at the 5D II
    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I am not 100% sure, but I think it may be on the 7D as well.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

According to DP Review the 7D has micro adjustment of +/- 20 steps for up to 20 individual lenses.

jhdee
        jhdee

Comment

Yes it came in the 50D I think. So 50d/7d/5DMkII all have it.

I have a wee issue with my 40D and 24-105 where the central focus point is not as sharp as the outer ones! Might need to send it back for calibration at some point.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Yes it came in the 50D I think. So 50d/7d/5DMkII all have it.

I have a wee issue with my 40D and 24-105 where the central focus point is not as sharp as the outer ones! Might need to send it back for calibration at some point.

Comment

Colin C - you don't say .... but for the purposes of checking on the screen ... is it best to shoot in the best quality JPEG (rather than RAW)? Also do you select Spot AF when doing this? I assume mounted on Tripod, IS off and mirror locked.

[I think my 100L is slightly 'off' and may need +1 or +2.]

Comment

• I shot in RAW. The rear screen shows a Jpeg, even when shooting in RAW.
                • I selected the central point for focussing. Spot AF was not engaged.
                • Tripod mounted, IS off, mirror locked and remote release used. I was using a high shutter speed in good light so didn't need any of the precautions, but it is still good practice to use them.

You will probably find that +1, or +2 won't make any noticable difference, because the adjustment is so fine. Using +5 or +10 makes a difference. I have tested at increments of 2 in both + and - and it really was overkill.

Good luck.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Thanks sir, I've settled on +5 for now.

My other lenses seem okay.

Comment

Colin, what sort of target did you use to micro adjust against?

Comment

Here you go Glenn

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Here's the computer freznel screen version:

Colin
                        Colin

Comment