2x extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2x extender

I am presently using a 40D with a 100-400 L series lens in conjunction with a 1.4x extender to photograph wildlife, but mainly birds. I am finding I would like some more magnification and I am considering buying a 2x extender, however I am a bit concerned that there will be too much loss of light. Has anyone used this combination and does it work?
    http://www.richrogers.photography

Re: 2x extender

I have both extenders and find that the 1.4x works well, but the 2x struggles even on prime lenses, except in very good light. On the 40D, it won't auto focus and you will be using it at f11 wide open, so very difficult to manual focus.

I use mine about twice a year, as emergency use only.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, that is pretty much as I expected. Guess Ill have to start saving for a 500mm prime. Still the 100-400 is an excellent lens.
      Richard
      http://www.richrogers.photography

Comment

It's my "Standard" lens. The biggest I can sensibly handhold for birds in flight. I have still kept the 100 - 400mm, because it is so versatile. If you are patient, 500's do crop up secondhand occasionally, but the mint one's still go for good money and even the beaten up ex pro one's still fetch much more than they're worth.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Buy a bare lens, maybe i don't have many lenses as some pros or lucky members here, but i really tested my extenders [teleconverters] on the primes and the zoom, even the quality decreased a bit and the focus goes slower or ignored with non 1-series bodies but it can be handy sometimes, i tested 100-400 + 1.4x + 2x and i've got acceptable shots even they are definitely low quality, but i will use those extenders only when it is necessary and i don't have any option, for example i will buy 600 or 500, when i will shoot birds if i am not close enough i may end up needing at least 1000mm, so i can't afford 800mm or 1200mm at all then extender on 500/600 will be a good idea.

Comment

A question passers by might like to hear the answer to - how does the camera focus with the 2x on the 100-400, I assume it's manual only, as 2 stops off the 100-400 will be too low for Canon AF?
            BTW I have the 1.4x and 2x and they aren't bad (although I only use them on f2.8 lenses so they will auto-focus).
            Handy comparison:
            View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

Though in "real life" I find stuff tends not to look as bad as the charts there suggest, as there aren't so many (any?) edges that sharp.
            John

Comment

Anyone used a 2 x on a 70-200 f 2.8 by any chance?
              Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by hughbie View Post
                Anyone used a 2 x on a 70-200 f 2.8 by any chance?
                Hugh
                Yes. You can tell the difference in quality with the 2x on, but no noticable difference with the 1.4x on. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible and a quick tweek in Photoshop restores the difference.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

As Colin says - there is a noticeable difference in quality but you still get the shot that otherwise you may miss. Useful to keep in the bag for those "just in case" times.

jhdee
                  jhdee

Comment

Thanks Colin & jhdee,
                    If I get the 70-200 2.8,maybe I wont bother with the 2 x.
                    Hugh

Comment

Working...
                    X