"To buy or not to buy, that is the question"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"To buy or not to buy, that is the question"

Having just returned from a holiday in Florida, and long days walking around the attractions, with the 5D3 + EF 24-105 attached, I thought that it would be nice to reduce the weight tad. However, having progressed to owning all L series lenses, I really don't want to go down the lower priced, and lighter, alternatives route.

I got to thinking that having the 24-105L, 70-300L, and 400L, I had an overlap in focal length between the 24-105 and the 70-300. and that maybe the EF 24-70L, being some 70g lighter, might be a good option.

Of course there are two 24-70L options, the f/4 and the new f/2.8 version 2, albeit a very significant difference in the price.

Although the 2.8 would be nice, it is 135g heavier than the 24-105 that I have, so somewhat defeats the object of what I am trying to achieve.

I have no complaints with the 24-105, and love the lens, its only the wish to retain L series image quality in a lighter package, that has prompted my thinking.

I have approached three dealers for a part-ex quote, and have received already received a good offer from one of them.

So, does anybody have experience of the EF 24-70L f/4?

Dave
    Dave

Re: "To buy or not to buy, that is the question"

Have you thought of a light weight body like the Canon 100D. You will certainly find the load much lighter, as I have found. For instance with your 24-105mm lens attached to the 100D, you find that the only weight is that of the lens as the body weighs next to nothing! Just a thought of mine.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Nat

Having made it all the way up to a 5D3, via 300D, 30D, and 7D, I really don't want to go back down the ladder.

The 5D3 is everything I'd dreamed of, and produces great results, especially given its high ISO/Low noise performance.

I do have the Canon S120 compact, an excellent camera, which is mainly used by my wife, but I prefer using the DSLR.

Unless I hear or read unfavourable reports on the 24-70 f/4 L, I'll likely go for that, either selling or p/exing the 24-105, even though it is only 18 months old.

The 5D3 + 24-105 is a superb combination, but it is heavy when walking around with it for 8 hours plus. Its only 35mm of reach that I will lose, but more importantly also 70g of weight, and hopefully without losing the IQ of the 24-105.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Goodness me!, its amazing how the UK stock price varies across the big retailers, From £890 at LCE, to £750 at Camera World.

That's a difference of £140!!

Dave
        Dave

Comment

And look to Hong Kong and you shave another £200 of that - Simply Electronics list it at £554.95

Comment

Dave, I understand what you say. Buying a light weight 100D does not mean that one is going backwards as it is the lens which actually makes the difference. YOu will still use the L series 24-105 and I am saying this as I have used the 100D+ 24-105 combo and the pictures are excellent.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Thanks guys, its now thinking time.

Had another good p/ex offer back from and other company, while another was quite insulting, and given
              what it cost 18 months ago, I would sooner keep it. Especially as they will sell for around £550.

I accept that they need to make a profit, but their offer (a major retailer), was taking the P***.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

Hmm!, depending upon one more p/ex quote coming back, I will probably take a different route.

The best quote so far is £350, but like most of the big retailers, they are asking £889 for the f/4 24-70.

So, it looks like I might head back to HDEW, as I have done before, where the 24-70 is £599, and sell then 24-105 for the best trade-in price. That way both I and the buyer get a good deal.

I'll think it over.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

The final p/ex quote now back in at £360, which to me is fair and realistic.

So, thinking cap back on (lol).

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

A 70mm long end is a pain, compared to 105mm, as you want to change lenses too often I find...

Comment

Duly noted Jon, thanks.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

Now really not certain

Just read a couple 24-70 f/4 IS v 24-105 f/4 IS reviews, and this has somewhat 'rocked the boat'.

The 'bottom line' is that while the 24-70 scores better on Bokeh (nine blades instead of eight), and both barrel and pincushion distortion, it is not reported having the same level of image sharpness, as the 24-105. This could be quite easily seen in the test shots.

The focus and zoom rings on the 24-70 are reported as being very easily moved on the 24-70, and opposed to the nice firm action of the 24-105, and apparently the lens hood on the 24-70 is very loose fit, and tends to wobble about a bit.

So, maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side, and for the sake of 70gm, perhaps I should stick the old tried and trusted 24-105.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

better the devil you know dave .with the weight of my 1d3 and the 400mm lens i tend to walk round with it cradled in my arms rather than hanging lose ,its horses for courses ,there is also the problem that not all versions of the same item are equal these days .so you might sell ,then decide you still want one and the next copy is not as good as what you have already .t-shirt ,book and the whole lot for me

Comment

I agree with Jeff above. The known devil is better than the unknown and I wouldn't change my 24-105 mm that easily. I have been around a long time photographically, made a lot of mistakes with my equipment, lost a lot of money etc but I now more or less what I really need and I go for it after reading the forum,using search engines and the lot.

Comment

Love my 24-105 too. Was going to suggest you look at the Sigma equiv which has very similar optical performance then when I checked it weighs almost 25% more than the Canon!
                              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X