Looking again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking again

Can someone tell about the life expectancy of Canon lenses? I have been offered various big lenses at what seems like fair prices, but two of them are 7 and 8 years old. Now I know how many shutter actuations on a body are good or bad, but how long do the auto focus mechanisms work for on lenses?
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Looking again

No idea but I have had my 300 f4 for 8 years new and my 70-200 f2.8 which was bought from a professional tog who was selling up, and both work just as well as when I got them

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Some sigma lenses contain a.f chips and do reach a point of feasibility but most of the recent big whites are fine .i would love a 500 f 4 but out of my pension range I'm afraid .
      But saying that I bought a film era tamron 24-105mm lens for just over £20 and it's a little cracker ,if possible try before you buy and run images through your computer ,and take off any filters

Comment

Had my 100-400 for 10 years no problems and a s/h 500mm f4.5 no IS made in 1991 which was still going strong( wish I hadn't sold it ) but my 6 year old 24-104 started giving error 20 and it was the apperture mechanism that had to be replaced

Alan

Comment

Cheers guys, just checking, don't feel comfortable parting with £thousands on a punt.

Comment

Not sure what lenses you're looking at but some of the old L lenses you won't be able to get the parts if anything should go wrong( the non IS versions)As i found out with my old 300L f2.8 though I still sold it on ebay for parts and was amazed how much it went for

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul, think I might be changing tack slightly, wait for a bit more funds available and go for new, was looking IS lenses(500 and 800 mm) and still have an eye on the 400 DO, but I now think the mark 2 is the wiser option, even though a mark 1 is being dangled at me by a seller just now, at both reasonable cost and even interest free credit if I would like it............................

Comment

I got 2 lens that are old the 50m mk1 made 1987? and the 20-35 3.5-4.5 usm both work fine. took them both in 2014 on a trip to japan. both lens are now on use of my 5d mk3 along with the 28-135 is lens. saying this if the lens seems to have been stored and kept well while not in use
                no trouble should be knocking at your door. rember the 50mk1 was the kit lens of its day and it still works shows that canon lens are indeed well made.
                ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
                1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

A lens should last indefinitely; it all depends how it has been looked after and stored. In damp conditions mould can get inside. Also, any finger prints on the surface of the glass element will leave a permanent mark if not removed immediately as it will burn into the coating.

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                    A lens should last indefinitely; it all depends how it has been looked after and stored. In damp conditions mould can get inside. Also, any finger prints on the surface of the glass element will leave a permanent mark if not removed immediately as it will burn into the coating.
                    I was more concerned about the wiring and electronics having had an EFS 17-85 play up with intermittent faults.

Comment

tiger why the hell don't you go for the sigma 150-600 sport ,they are now down to around £1200 brand new and work well ,especially if you have the usb dock to upgrade them.my lad has a 500mm f.4 mk2 and i honestly can't see that much if any difference in the shots

Comment

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Canon EF EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM 400mm F/2.8 EF IS L USM Lens at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Watching this at the moment Jeff add a 2x convertor and I'd get 800 mm at f5.6 for under £5.5k(I intend to go to Aberdeen and try a lens or two on my camera in the next few weeks)

Comment

impressive glass but hey its only money ,my lads just spent 7k on a 500 f4 mk2 ,just wish i was still working

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
                            I was more concerned about the wiring and electronics having had an EFS 17-85 play up with intermittent faults.
                            The 17-85 is a known problem lens... It's mainly the wiring for the AF that's the issue - mine broke and had to be repaired...

On the other hand I have a quartet of early EF lenses made between '87 and '92 that still work fine...
                            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

The 17-85 is my wife's favourite lens, wonder if it's cost effective to repair?

Comment

Working...
                              X