Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one Canon 400mm 5.6L or 300MM + 1.4EXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one Canon 400mm 5.6L or 300MM + 1.4EXT?

Hi there,

Just wondering which is best, I've seen a fair few thread's on this but would appreciate any of your comment's in helping me consider which one is best.

I'll be using it mainly for birding however I quite like the thought of the Macro capability of the 300mm but I also like the quickness of the 400mm for BIF, I really can't make my mind up.

If anyone can show a few images (preferably taken with all these combinations if possible) I would be grateful.

Hope you can help
    Carl.

Re: Which one Canon 400mm 5.6L or 300MM + 1.4EXT?

I use a 300 f4 plus 1.4x and am very happy with the results

these were taken with that combo

All the best
    Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

I have the 300 f4 + 1.4 Ext - also very pleased with results I get. I selected the 300 over the 400 purely to get IS.

jhdee
      jhdee

Comment

I also use the 300mm f4 + 1.4 t/c with the 50D and 1V. I feel i need the "is" with the long lens, and you get the extra 20mm (every mm counts, as the wife say's).

Comment

Hi Fella's,

Thanks for the comments much appreciated (and the pic's cheers Pete)

I think you've help me make my mind up the 300mm + 1.4 Ext it is bit more saving and i'll have it:-)

Thank's again
          Carl

Comment

My thoughts are that if you are already thinking that you will be using the 300mm with the converter then buy the 400mm. As the 300mm is only f4, you will still be at f5.6 with the converter and have a heavier lens. The forgotten 400 is very lighweight, has lightning fast AF and produces pictures with excellent IQ.

Mind you I don't have a 300m and I do have a 400 so I'm a bit biased.

If you are using it to take photographs of birds then personally I don't see the point of the 300, as my guess is you will find that most of the time you will have the converter on it to get the extra reach.

Comment

I think the 400 is probably one of the oldest lenses in the EF range (its still a brilliant lens) so surely Canon must be thinking of refreshing it...at least adding IS?

Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                My thoughts are that if you are already thinking that you will be using the 300mm with the converter then buy the 400mm. As the 300mm is only f4, you will still be at f5.6 with the converter and have a heavier lens. The forgotten 400 is very lighweight, has lightning fast AF and produces pictures with excellent IQ.

Mind you I don't have a 300m and I do have a 400 so I'm a bit biased.

If you are using it to take photographs of birds then personally I don't see the point of the 300, as my guess is you will find that most of the time you will have the converter on it to get the extra reach.
                A good point... Here is the BUT

With the 300f4 you get IS and you have the choice of 300mm or 420mm with the 1.4x, so a more versatile choice... IMO.
                All the best
                Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

BUT..
                  with the 400 you have a choice of 400mm or 560mm, and for bird photography a longer reach can make the difference.

Pete's point about the IS is well made although I have to say I have never found it a problem. With mine I use a tripod a Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head and IS is of no use then.

If you want that advantage then buy the 500mm f4 and weep over the £5500 you will be handing over.

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                    BUT..
                    with the 400 you have a choice of 400mm or 560mm, and for bird photography a longer reach can make the difference.

Pete's point about the IS is well made although I have to say I have never found it a problem. With mine I use a tripod a Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head and IS is of no use then.

If you want that advantage then buy the 500mm f4 and weep over the £5500 you will be handing over.
                    Aghh but some of us bought them last year for £3500... still Ouch though...

With the 400f5.6 + 1.4, would you not loose AF unless a 1 series camera or at least be slow ??
                    All the best
                    Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

Just a quick thought regarding IS: the range of shutter speeds you would normally be using for bird shots is higher than the focal length of the lens, therefore IS is not giving you any advantage.

IS minimises camera shake, not subject movement.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Just a quick thought regarding IS: the range of shutter speeds you would normally be using for bird shots is higher than the focal length of the lens, therefore IS is not giving you any advantage.

IS minimises camera shake, not subject movement.

Colin

In an ideal world, but we in the UK have to deal with dark dismal weather not Clear Blue Skies like in the Med or States....

I am often working around the focal length or below in shutter speed terms, oh and there is more to photograph than birds with an IS lens ;)
                        All the best
                        Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

As a bird photographer, I take more images of them on the ground, on water, or on perches than I do of them in flight.

When I originally ventured into this focal length, I opted for the 100-400 which did a reasonable job.

But then I wanted the much better IQ that you get with a prime over the 100-400

So I opted for the 300f4 + 1.4 as

a) I already had the 1.4
                          b) It gave me the flexibility of 'two' lenses
                          c) I used the 300 almost as much as I did the 300 + 1.4.

HTH
                          Martin

Comment

I use the 100-400L IS for most of my wildlife photographs, but I'm about to buy a 300mm with a 1.4
                            www.wightwildlife.co.uk

Comment

I do a lot of bird photography and started off with the 100-400 but now have a 300f4 which i use both with and without a 1.4x, both giving excellent results. I also have a 70-200 f2.8, which either on its own or with the converter gives me flexibility at the shorter end

Stan
                              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X