Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon Tripod Collar Advice Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens (Not IS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Tripod Collar Advice Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens (Not IS)

Hi all.

I have just purchased the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens (Not IS) and looking at Tripod Collars.
    The original Canon Collar is far too expensive, so I was looking at getting a cheaper one.

Can anyone recommend a Collar please? and where from.

Many thanks
    Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Canon EOS 60D DSLR | Canon Powershot SX230 HS |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens |
    Canon 430 EX II Flash | Stofen Diffuser | Epson Photo PX720WD |

Re: Canon Tripod Collar Advice Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens (Not IS)

I got mine from eBay - about £10. - works perfectly well
    ef-r

Comment

Relatively light lens. As you have just got the lens, why not try it with the camera fitted to the tripod and see how you get on; should not be a problem really.

Comment

Originally posted by bigyun2000 View Post
        Hi all.

I have just purchased the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens (Not IS) and looking at Tripod Collars.
        The original Canon Collar is far too expensive, so I was looking at getting a cheaper one.

Can anyone recommend a Collar please? and where from.

Many thanks
        I have a canon one for sale (as new) if interested I would take £40 for it!
        Regards Eddie.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi. Eddie. SOLD. I have PM you also. YES I will have it then please. Can i pay by PAYPAL please?
          Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Comment

Originally posted by bigyun2000 View Post
            Hi. Eddie. SOLD. I have PM you also. YES I will have it then please. Can i pay by PAYPAL please?
            PM replied to!
            Regards Eddie.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Eddie. PM Replied
              Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Comment

PM replied to again:-)
                Regards Eddie.

Comment

Eddie PM sent.
                  Cheers
                  Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Comment

Relatively light lens. As you have just got the lens, why not try it with the camera fitted to the tripod and see how you get on; should not be a problem really.
                    Hugbie what you are saying is correct, however it not just about the weight, with the collar you could bolt it straight on to a monopod with no head required and stilll be able rotate the camera to portrait mode. If you already have a ballhead on your tripod/ monopod you don't need really a collar for this lens ?

I had the F4 version of this lens and I never noticed the 'raised screw heads' that the collar locks into on the 2.8 versions. Is the collar held on the F4 by tension alone ??

Trev

Comment

Separate to the main issue of tripod collars, congrats on 1,000 posts Trev.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

congrats on 1,000 posts Trev
                        Ah cheers Colin, I never noticed.
                        A 1000 posts ! That's enough to power a hot air balloon for a whole week :-)

Trev

Comment

One really doesn't need a tripod collar for this lens. I have the same lens and I support the weight with my left hand and use the right hand to adjust controls and to click the shutter.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

One really doesn't need a tripod collar for this lens. I have the same lens and I support the weight with my left hand and use the right hand to adjust controls and to click the shutter.
                            Nathaniel, it looks like you're saying you hand hold the thing :-) ?

Trev

Comment

Yes, Trev. I have fairly steady hands (so far) and with a faster TV I have had no problem. I only use this lens outdoors in fairly reasonable light. For more difficult, close and indoor pics I use my Tamron
                              f2.8 17-50mm.

Photography has taken a back seat for now, as I am in the process of moving home- acutally downsizing. Once I have completed this, I will be posting more images and travelling around a bit more. I will also use my other lenses which are presently hibernating.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X