Gaps in my lens collection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaps in my lens collection.

Should I be worried about not having a collection of lenses that cover every focal length from 14mm to 600mm?
    Dave

Re: Gaps in my lens collection.

No not really.

Comment

Don't worry - be happy !

Why stop at 14-600mm - what's wrong with 8-800mm ? (I think that's the full extent right now - unless you can put a 1.4x or 2x on the 800mm ???)

We all suffer from lens envy at times. Even when we achieve the dream of having full coverage, Canon will always come along & spoil things by introducing a new lens or updated lens - or - heaven forbid - a cheaper lens!!!

It all depends on what you shoot, and the frequency you do so doesn't it?

By nature, we will never be happy with our lot - so we must make the best of what we've got, or what we can afford; and NO, I can't afford the 800mm!
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Should I be worried about not having a collection of lenses that cover every focal length from 14mm to 600mm?
        You have bigger things to worry about, my friend. If I were you (and at this moment I am pretending to be you) I'd pour a nice glass or two of Hawkes Bay plonk and sit out on the veranda and watch the sun go down. I'm just tucking into the Oyster Bay Merlot 2008, and I suggest you do the same. If you discover any gaps in your lens collection I'm sure your concerns will just melt away.

What good advice I give.

Comment

When i shot Canon i had a 16-35,70-200,500 and 90 macro +extenders and never really felt that i needed any extra lenses to fit the missing spaces, Saying that once my 70-200 arrives i will have every mm from 14-600, It depends on if you feel you are constantly needing different focal lengths from what you have and what you shoot

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DCINNC View Post
            When i shot Canon ....
            Dave, I've been dying to find out why you are no longer a Canon man???

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
            What good advice I give.
            And so you do Sir. I'll be on the deck, bottle in hand at 6 o'clock sharp.
            Last edited by Dave; 17-09-2009, 22:17.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              I'll be on the deck, bottle in hand at 6 o'clock sharp.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I opened this thread because I so often read of people concerned about having gaps in their lens collections. My lens lineup is holier than my jockeys, but it's not something I worry about. As DC points out, three or four lenses are easily enough, and there is no need to look further than his work to see how true that is.

I say we should all get our noses out of magazines, sign out of our ebay accounts, get our boots on and get out there taking photos, myself included. (Rob – merlot in hand)
                Dave

Comment

To answer the question (there's a novel idea) I stretch from 11mm to 280 (that could be taken more than one way, I think.)

Tokina 11-16
                  Canon 24-105L (also Sigma 105 macro)
                  Canon 50mm 1.8
                  Sigma 70-200 DG + 1.4 extender takes it to 280mm.

But I can use all except the Tokina on both cameras (50D and 5D) so I probably don't have any gaps if I count both cameras. No interest in above 280mm.

For any gaps I move myself, unless I am near a cliff-top.

The Merlot was v. nice. Send me a crate will you.

Comment

Oh man! Mine goes from 50mm-600mm (if you include my 70-300 with 2x extender...I think!) not taking in the crop factor either...

Has no one bought the EF 1200L?!?

Dave - I did not realise you were on the dark side, I too would like to know WHY?!?
                    (you can PM if you like!!!)

Comment

I don't believe in collecting lenses for the sake of it or to show off to others my lens collection. Photography is all about taking good pictures. This depends on what you expect to photograph. I use both a 350d and an EOS 3 as back up.If it is a party I would take the 18mm-55mm IS lens & the EF 28mm-105mm lens.If I am on safari (I am a wild life fanatic) I would take the 28mm-105mm lens plus EF-S 55mm- 250mm IS lens as well as the EF 75mm-300mm fitted to my EOS 3. I would also put in my 500mm mirror lens for any bird photography like Vultures and Sea Eagles. The mirror lens comes in very handy with the 350d as I can "UP" the ISO to the equivalent of say 800 or 1600 & hand hold the camera- no time for tripods etc.

Comment

As you seem to be curious i will make it short-i bought one of the first 1D MK3 and ended up having no end of problems with Canon Suisse where i lived at the time, This went on for about 15 months until they decided to change the body-the day i got the new body i sold it, I then moved to the states having sold all my kit-the yanks dont like imported kit and had a fist full of dollars to buy new kit-what would you have bought, I spent 14 years with Canon and was happy until i needed a camera that worked consistantly and they treated me badly, I told them i had 30 000 dollars to spend and they didnt care so i went to the dark side-which is fantastic-that doesnt mean that i wont buy another Canon body and lens as i may well do-its just a tool-if it does what i want then i will buy it

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DCINNC View Post
                          As you seem to be curious i will make it short-i bought one of the first 1D MK3 and ended up having no end of problems with Canon Suisse where i lived at the time, This went on for about 15 months until they decided to change the body-the day i got the new body i sold it, I then moved to the states having sold all my kit-the yanks dont like imported kit and had a fist full of dollars to buy new kit-what would you have bought, I spent 14 years with Canon and was happy until i needed a camera that worked consistantly and they treated me badly, I told them i had 30 000 dollars to spend and they didnt care so i went to the dark side-which is fantastic-that doesnt mean that i wont buy another Canon body and lens as i may well do-its just a tool-if it does what i want then i will buy it

Dave
                          Sorry to hear of the bad service. Even thought it's too late for you Dave, I hope Canon are listening in. I seem to be hearing more and more stories of a similar vein.

I wish you all the best and will continue to drop in on your website and blog for inspiration.

Cheers, Dave
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X