Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever BOUGHT or SOLD a lens and regretted doing so.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you ever BOUGHT or SOLD a lens and regretted doing so.

When I first got my Canon equipment, I bought an EF 28-80mm lens. What an awful lens that was. I regretted that. That was a while ago now.

Comment

I sort of regret buying my EF100 f/2.8 Macro, I hardly use it. Though I know if I sell it I'll need to use it.
      C & C welcome on any of my images :)

Comment

I've just sold my 24-105 L and I'm sort of regretting it as I haven't replaced it yet and there is a huge hole in my lens collection. However, I'm waiting on 135L and a 24-70L so hopefully I'll forgot about the 24-105L in time.
        Canon 5D & 40D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon 135L f2

Comment

I agree with monobrow, what a bloody awful lens that was!

I had the Mk 1 version when I bought my first EOS (the 10) in the 90's. I even thought selling my FD equipment to buy in to the EOS system was a big mistake because of that lens!
          Last edited by Sir_Loin; 23-09-2009, 13:28.
          1D MkIV, 5D MkIII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II ** R6, RF 24-105mm f/4.0-7.1 ** M5, EF-M 11-22mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS, EF-M 22mm f/2.0, EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS **** Speedlite 580EX II, Speedlite 430EX III-RT, Speedlite 470EX-AI, ** FD 50mm f/1.2L, FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. ASPHERICAL, FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, FL-F 300mm f/5.6, FD 300mm f/2.8L.

Comment

Although it's not a real regret, I am disappointed with my 24-105L, it's easily the weakest lens of my collection (even though it has been back to Canon for a recalibration). A few years ago I bought a 28-80 (EF-S thingie) which I took about four shots with - a complete waste of money. I flogged it a while later.

Comment

I brought a non Canon x2 converter to use with my Sigma 70-300mm but found it almost useless.Only works in manual focus and pictures are dark and grainy.Might be getting a Canon 100-400mm so it might work better on that.
              My friends call me Woody

Comment

Might be getting a Canon 100-400mm so it might work better on that.
                Unlikely.

The 100-400 isn't really improved by Canon 1.4, so a non Canon 2 X is going to be pretty awful too.

Sorry to blow the illusion.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  Unlikely.

The 100-400 isn't really improved by Canon 1.4, so a non Canon 2 X is going to be pretty awful too.

Sorry to blow the illusion.

Martin
                  No lens is improved by adding an extender. Whether you will be happy with the results of a 100-400 with 1.4X depends on your expectations.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N - EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x
                  1/800 sec at f / 8.0

Maybe not pin sharp but acceptable, to me at least.
                  Regards ,
                  Norman

Comment

I bought the 17-40L when I really should have bought the 16-35.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Everick View Post
                      I bought the 17-40L when I really should have bought the 16-35.

Bob
                      I just bought a 17-40 after having been offered as good as brand new 16-35 MkII I just couldn't justify the price difference. The 17-40 has been fantastic so far
                      Canon 5D & 40D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon 135L f2

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        I may stand to be corrected here, but I don't think an EF-S lens will fit on the EOS3 Body. I know they don't fit on full-frame digitals and I'm assuming the same for film bodies. If this is the case, you may be selling the wrong lens. Also, if you buy a full-frame digital sometime in the future, you'll be up a smelly creek without a paddle.

Out of interest what aperture are the two lenses – to me that would be significant in choosing between them.
                        You're quite right. EF-S lenses cannot be used on either full-frame digital or any 35mm film SLR. The 'S' stands for 'S'hort as in Short back focus where distance between film plane or sensor and the rear lens element and/or mechanical thereof extend further into the camera's interior and are therefore quite likely to cause a nasty collision between rear of lens and reflex mirror when it attempts to thrash up n' down as they tend to do!

I wouldn't want to risk it anyway!

Dave C

Comment

I regetted buying a 16 - 35mm f2.8 L. Got rid of it and bought the 17 - 40mm f4 L, which I was very pleased with.

I have since played with the 16 - 35mm f2.8 MKII L and it is a significant improvement, but I have no plans to buy one.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X