My first L Lens on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first L Lens on the way!

I have just traded a couple of lenses for the Canon 70-200 f4L (non IS) and I cant wait. It is to be used with a 40D and I wondered if anyone had any hints or tips to get the best out of both?!?!

Re: My first L Lens on the way!

Dont forget to get the aperture speed up - ie quicker than 1/300 @200mm, quicker than 1/100 at 70mm

Do that and you will be very happy
    ef-r

Comment

Cheers for that - good advice!

Comment

Good luck with your latest purchase, you will not be disappointed, I'm sure.
        Don't forget to post some images taken with your new lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
          Good luck with your latest purchase, you will not be disappointed, I'm sure.
          Don't forget to post some images taken with your new lens.

I hope not! Probably will be the best lens I will have ever used or got my hands on - so cant wait! As soon as I have some pics I will post them!

Comment

You wont be disappointed, an excellent lens which if you need extra reach will take the 1.4 converter will little loss of quality. My wife has this lens and it is almost as good as my f 2.8 version.

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Cheers Stan. I honestly think this will be a leap from the lenses I have been using and will be great for my location portraiture. Sure I would have loved the 2.8 but I plan to get a 85mm f1.8 and a 30 or 35 mm too (and I have the 50mm 1.8) so I should be well covered for most portrait situations!

Comment

Enjoy the lens - It sure is a tack sharp lens.
                The way I see it is that f4 is only 1 stop away from f2.8. F4 on a tele lens is well enough to give a good blur to the background.
                Remember to keep an eye on your shutter speed as the lack of IS may cause camera shake.

I bought my one along with my 40D a few years ago. This also was my first "L" lens and was blown away by the build quality and IQ.
                It is a lens that I very rarely use and it spends its time boxed and up in the loft. I am seriously thinking of selling it on so someone else can get good use of it.

Mike
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Thanks Mike, for me it should tick all the boxes - just waiting for it to arrive!

Comment

Oh no!

You've done it now and I'm only sorry we didn't have time to warn you. From this moment onwards you won't even be able to look at an ordinary lens - you have "L" 'itus. It's "L" series or nothing for the rest of your life and even longer.

Slightly more seriously ................... great decision, fabulous lens, enjoy.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Image Warrior View Post
                      Cheers Stan. I honestly think this will be a leap from the lenses I have been using and will be great for my location portraiture. Sure I would have loved the 2.8 but I plan to get a 85mm f1.8 and a 30 or 35 mm too (and I have the 50mm 1.8) so I should be well covered for most portrait situations!
                      No no - it has to be another L - get the 24-105 and that way it cover all your bases - and you will only have 2 lens to worry about
                      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                        No no - it has to be another L - get the 24-105 and that way it cover all your bases - and you will only have 2 lens to worry about
                        so says the man who has just gone on a L of a L binge......
                        David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                          so says the man who has just gone on a L of a L binge......
                          Two L's per camera
                          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                            Dont forget to get the aperture speed up - ie quicker than 1/300 @200mm, quicker than 1/100 at 70mm

Do that and you will be very happy
                            Good advise from Brian but with a little support, use a mono pod or lean against a wall and use the correct technique you snould be able to handhold at much lower speeds.
                            Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

I heard it is catching don't think I will break the news to the wife yet! Cheers for that!

Comment

Working...
                              X